PDA

View Full Version : Is my pan salvalgable?

03-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Today when we were taking the pan off there wasn't enough syrup in it and some of it burnt and we put water in the pan and boiled it to try to get some of it off and it worked a little but it looks like someone scratched the pan with a wire brush and we did not do that so is there anything I can do to salvage it or is it toast:cry::cry:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2011, 04:48 PM
Few scratches never hurt a pan. As long as the pan is not warped bad, it will still work just as good. Even if it is warped just a little, you can cut a strip of 1" ceramic blanket and put all around outside edge underneath it and this should help with the warp and leaking smoke/ash.

03-20-2011, 06:13 PM
It's not the warp I'm worried about it is the Burnt area because it is all black and did not come off

Brent
03-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Kit it with Easy Off oven cleaner. Let it soak for an hour or two. It will likely take a number of application but you should get a black rack every time you do it so you can tell you're making progress. Keeping it warm while it soaks will help

Haynes Forest Products
03-20-2011, 08:38 PM
Try the Scothbrite only on the burnt area until you get it thined down. then go with the vinigar. I use a Foodgrade Brush and sacrub like hell and it wont scratch the SS brite finish

happy thoughts
03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't know if it will work for you but this hjome remedy sometimes works with scorched cooking pots - try boiling it with water and baking soda in it. The baking soda is supposed to help lift the scorch part. I've tried it myself on smaller pots and it does seem to help though how well will depend on how scorched the pan is. here's some more complete instructions from e-how....

How to Treat Burned Pots and Pans | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_114388_treat-burned-pots.html

1. Wash away as much of the food as possible, using cold water for eggs, chocolate and starch-based foods.
.2 Fill the pot with water. Add 1 to 2 tsp. dishwashing liquid (I like Dawn in particular) and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, then cover the pot, turn off the heat and leave the pot to soak for 30 minutes.
.3 With a wooden spoon, scrape away as much of the burned food as possible. Rinse well.
.4 If burned areas still remain, cover them completely with a generous amount of baking soda. Drizzle in just enough water to create a thick paste, smearing the paste up the sides of the pot if needed. Set aside for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
.5 Without rinsing the pot, add 3 parts water to 1 part distilled vinegar to cover the burned food by at least 2 inches (5 cm). Boil for 10 minutes and then leave overnight.
.6 Repeat steps 2 through 5 as needed.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

bowtie
03-21-2011, 11:47 AM
try a grinder with a soft brush type wheel it will clean thew majority of it quick and then scrub with scotchbrite pad or something similiar.