PDA

View Full Version : off color sap

bomofish
03-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Anyone else getting yellowish or just darker sap. recently i have but not all my trees, still a rookie at sugaring but does this mean the sap is no longer good, is the season over for those trees?

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-20-2011, 12:26 PM
usually yellow or dark sap means it has sat in the bucket or stored longer than it should have been. Bacteria causes the sap to turn along with heat. You want to boil the sap as quick as possible to finished product if not just to sterilize it. I don't keep sap over 2 days unless boiled. Season is far from over it is going to run hard this week according

PerryW
03-20-2011, 01:23 PM
If I have a small percentage of buckets with yellow sap, I dump it to keep my grade up. Otherwise, I boil it. It will most likely turn back to clear sap with this colder weather.

Kevin Rose
03-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Are you using buckets? A common cause of a yellowish to brownish tint in the sap comes from rainwater flowing down the tree then into the bucket on the outside of the spile. The coloration comes from the bark of the tree.

~ Kevin

bomofish
03-21-2011, 03:30 PM
yeah im using alot of buckets, i just feel the sap hasnt been sitting for that long at all.

But anyway, is it still ok to boil up and make some syurp?

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-21-2011, 08:04 PM
I dont see a prob. might be a little darker.

emu742
03-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I got yellow on the 20th and 21st - not much sap either (closed tube system, not rainwater).

May be a dumb question but, can I boil this? Aside from wasting money processing it, is it actually edible or no?

TF Maple
03-22-2011, 12:56 PM
I got yellow on the 20th and 21st - not much sap either (closed tube system, not rainwater).

May be a dumb question but, can I boil this? Aside from wasting money processing it, is it actually edible or no?

If you don't mind having darker syrup...boil it.