PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Fryer for 24 Taps - Newbie to Sapping

BuoyChaser
03-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Just starting out and want to use a Turkey Fryer as we get the hang of our first 24 taps and old Galvanized Buckets. It's 38,000 BTU cast burner so curious as to suggestions or pictures of insulating and preventing heat loss on the burner. Plan to use the 30qt aluminum pot until I can afford a pan. Have a young family so look forward to growing slowly into this very rewarding and fun hobby.

Also looking to add a spout to this aluminum pot, any suggestions on adding my own? Planning on consuming the syrup just amongst our immediate family.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ComputerSteve
03-19-2011, 10:35 PM
We're using the burner from a turkey fryer with full size stainless steel steam pan. We bought som concrete building block and placed it around the burner to keep the heat in. It works really well with the rectangular steam pan, and it would probably help with the turkey fryer bucket also. I got a stainless pan after reading some threads here about aluminum vs stainless steel boiling pans.

If you add a spout you should make sure it doesn't have anything in the valve that might heat up and impart an off taste to the syrup while the pot is on the burner.

This is my second year and we have a lot of fun. Make sure the whole family gets involved. Good luck!

rookie
03-19-2011, 10:35 PM
i haven't used a turkey fryer, but another member psted that he used to wrap his fryer in aluminum foil from the stand up to the pot to help the wind from chilling the flame. also a simple preheter is a coffee can with a pin hole in it driping into your pot, this helps a lot as aposed to adding cold sap,a full cup at a time.

rookie
03-19-2011, 10:41 PM
check out"" epiphany for the turkey fryer guys on " the evaporator and its accesories" should be one of the first posts, its been updated recently

BuoyChaser
03-20-2011, 09:09 PM
check out"" epiphany for the turkey fryer guys on " the evaporator and its accesories" should be one of the first posts, its been updated recently
Thanks for the tip, just checked it out. I had tried to search on multiple terms but never came up with that one. Great tips on pre-heating the syrup to keep the boil going while adding it.