PDA

View Full Version : broken hydrometer

weekendboiler
03-19-2011, 09:51 PM
so tonight i let my wife run the evap by herself for the first time and she calls me out there and said that she had syrup to take off. i checked it with the hydrometer and it tested 28.5 so we waited 5 min and checked it again and it tested 26.:confused:she said she didnt drop it in the cup or let it hit the bottom but it looks like the paper may have slid some but what has me concered is that it has condensation inside the glass. is this normal to have the condensation inside the hydrometer?

ComputerSteve
03-19-2011, 10:54 PM
The hydrometer is a sealed glass device and should not have condensation inside the hydrometer. I would carefully check it over because there is probably a small crack somewhere. Sounds like it's time for a new one.

danno
03-19-2011, 11:02 PM
When I break a hydrometer, it's always the glass the covers the little teardop weight at the bottom of the hydro. You have to look carefully to notice the glass is gone.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
03-20-2011, 05:25 AM
I plan on a new one each year! We all try to be as careful as we can, but what can happen, usually will happen. Just broke the first one this year! Didn't notice it was broken until I had moisture inside. Time to buy another spare! Best of luck to all!!

Shawn,

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Guess I have a good one, been using the same hydrometer for close to 20 years. :)

BryanEx
03-20-2011, 08:47 AM
Guess I have a good one, been using the same hydrometer for close to 20 years. :)

I bet you also don't lay it down on a not quite level table top either. I hate that feeling I get as I see it just drop off the edge. :rolleyes: