PDA

View Full Version : New evaporator questions

MilesTeg
03-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Now that I have the new evaporator broke in I have a few questions.

First questions are cleaning related. Here's the situation we have a new leader 30x8 Max pans with a traditional arch. We finally got the typical scale to develop on the bottom but half way through our last boil I noticed that the syrup pan was foaming more than it had been. So when we shut it down and drain and filter the front pan like we normally do I noticed where it was foaming there was a soils grey deposit. I'm thinking that its just a mineral deposit. Now the question is what to do now to clean it? We do have the acid clean that we could use, I was leaning towards the vinigar trick. How should this be accomplished can I drain the front pan and put a certain concentration of vinegar and water in it and let it sit over night. Or should I use the acid and bring it up to a boil like is recommended and the rinse the crap out of it. If I do the later can I leave sap in the flue pan to concentrate it more considering that its only going to be boiling for a few min I don't think I'd have a problem with it making syrup back there.

Ok the next set of questions once the above situation started it seemed like the evaporator changed characteristics. Previously to this happening when the evaporator was up on temp we would get quart to half gal draws every 15-30 mins. Now we've been getting 3 gal draws every hour to hour and half. I really don't like this because it feels like everytime I get a draw I have to start from scratch and the temp drops atleast 4 deg. I've tried running the pan shallow and deep to try to remedy this but that didn't work I am running it at 1.75 in riht now because I get worried about the level with the huge draws.

Thanks for the help guys maybe I can cool my father off about the deposits because I've been joking with him that the pan is scorched .

pierre
03-19-2011, 10:25 AM
i would use the vinegar trick first if it were me. it worked fine for us

MilesTeg
03-19-2011, 11:15 AM
i would use the vinegar trick first if it were me. it worked fine for us

What ratio did you use?