PDA

View Full Version : Temp Probe Height & Coals

murferd
03-18-2011, 08:37 PM
What height does everybody install their thermometer? We can't seem to get our stack temp very high, although we are boiling great. The probe just about drove me crazy, now we don't pay any attention to it. The only issue we seem to have is that there is a pile of coals in the bottom of fire box about a foot high after 7 or 8 hours of boiling. Any ideas???

BryanEx
03-19-2011, 04:13 AM
The only issue we seem to have is that there is a pile of coals in the bottom of fire box about a foot high after 7 or 8 hours of boiling. Any ideas???

That sounds like you are burning hardwoods, BTU is less on softwood but it burns down to ash without the mound of coals.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2011, 06:53 AM
Mine is between 6 and 7 feet off of the floor and just above the hood so I can see it good.

Farmboy
03-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Mix soft wood in with the hardwood and add a blower. It helps a lot. Hardwood is to valuable to burn in the evaporator. The only hardwood i burn is slabwood from a friends mill.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2011, 07:26 PM
Mix soft wood in with the hardwood and add a blower. It helps a lot. Hardwood is to valuable to burn in the evaporator. The only hardwood i burn is slabwood from a friends mill.

To me, hardwood is too valuable not to burn in the evaporator. I don't burn anything but hardwood that is dry and seasoned.

bees1st
03-19-2011, 07:51 PM
I agree hardwood has more btu's per cord , more btu's = more heat