PDA

View Full Version : looking for first evaporator

bowtie
03-18-2011, 02:53 PM
looking to purchase hobby evap. wf mason 2x4 hobbyist looking for feedback. really would like to stay $ 2000 or less. i currently have 40 taps/buckets out would like to expand to approx. 100-125 next year. i am boiling in a heavy ss pan 18 x 35 on open flame. its is too slow thinking about homemade block arch. i finish on a turkey fryer. looking opinions and or suggestions. western ny area. thanks

bigschuss
04-05-2011, 07:05 PM
I'll chime in here....I bought a 2x4 from Bill this past summer. The quality is superb. He personally delivered it to my door. I haven't used it yet, but I think for the prices you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

Good luck.

Cider Hill Maple Farm
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Last year I built my own arch and pans, Thought a-lot about the design and built. This year added more features to everything but still I'm not satisfied with the evap. rate. Our ( Dad the operator, Me the mechanic) rig is a sectioned 2' x 3' with a preheat pan 1' x 2'. We made eight gals. last year and 30 gals so far this year. I've been looking at the Mason as well, being a full time welder and fabricator myself, I think his outfit is outstanding. From what I read here on the trader everyone who has one of Bills units loves it. For the coin you can't go wrong but I also believe there is a long waiting list. But that's a great sign of quality!!

Best to all!
Shawn

04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I have only heard good things about his evaporators and pans

40to1
04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
I have a WF Mason 2x3. It's great and Bill is great to deal with. I emailed him several times (after the sale) with a few questions and he promptly and helpfully replied.

With your 40 taps, the 2x4 would be a great fit. But with your plan to jump to 125 taps, you're bumping yourself up to his 2x4.5 drop-tube evaporator.

More money, but think of all the fun you'll have!

GramaCindy
04-06-2011, 04:36 AM
And I have a Mason 2x4 with 50 taps. RUNS GREAT! Easy system for one to use even by themselves, great workmanship!

steve J
04-06-2011, 07:26 AM
I have Bills 2x4 with a blower and I ran 200 taps this year and could not keep up with it. I think 125 will keep you very busy and is outside edge of what the evaporator caan keep up with. The rig is great and Bill is as nice a guy as you will meet. If you think you might have more then 125 down the road then go to his drop tube and get a blower too.

Fishgill
04-06-2011, 02:19 PM
I've got a 2x4 hobby and love it. I can do 10 gallons/hour. I ran 147 taps this season and would get 75-100 gallons on a good run. It definitely keep me busy. I made just over 18 gallons. A couple of late nights boiling. I'm already thinking I should have bought a larger evaporator. I'm gonna run this one one more season then see what happens.
I should've took the advice I give people when looking to buy a boat. Buy the largest one you can afford :lol:.