PDA

View Full Version : Can you get too much vacuum for the trees?

Bruce L
03-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Our current Sihi pump runs about 25" of vacuum,no load,loaded we try to maintain around 20" or better.Can you get too high a vacuum for the health of the trees?I know when we milked cows we had to be careful of the level for the health of the cows,but cows could be replaced much faster than maple trees. I see Leader has a pump factory tested at 29",I would imagine if they are marketing it that it would be safe,would like to hear from Dr.Tim and others thier views on it.Also,if I were to place a larger motor on my pump would it increase the vacuum?
Thanks,Bruce

Haynes Forest Products
03-18-2011, 11:48 PM
NO:cool: Even if the pump will get you 29HGs the system wont........WHAT. Between leaks and the sap and gases from the trees your vacuum will be much less.

PerryW
03-19-2011, 06:19 AM
careful though. If you exceed 30, you will break the laws of physics and may create a black hole which destroy the universe.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2011, 08:53 AM
No and a larger motor will get you less strain on the motor and but not any higher vac levels unless you play around with rpms and find its sweet spot. Which you could do with pully ratios. But you have to be careful there as well and not overheat the pump.

gmcooper
03-20-2011, 06:43 AM
Only way to tell if you have too much vacuum is if you start pulling tree roots out of the releaser! LOL

DrTimPerkins
03-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Can you get too high a vacuum for the health of the trees?

Although cows have stall walls, they don't have cell walls. Unlike animals, woody plant cells are encased in a rigid cell wall and thus can deal with vacuum of any level without harm.