PDA

View Full Version : Reusing 5/16 spiles

Dan W
03-17-2011, 08:59 PM
This Tear I have 125 new 5/16 spouts with tubing to plastic buckets. Would you flush out the tubing and re-use the spouts or cut off and replace the spouts for next year? I have seen on here that you can expect up to a 10% reduction in the second tear of spouts. The seasonal spouts are relatively cheap. For 30 or 40 bucks, I would rather have new spouts and full production for next year. What would you do?

ComputerSteve
03-17-2011, 09:34 PM
We use 7/16 spouts with tubing to buckets. We cleaned and reused the ones we had last year and added new ones this year and I see no difference in output. If the spouts and tubing is clean with no obstructions, I don't see any reason why output production would go down. However this is only my second year and I still have a lot to learn. I'm just a hobbyist that produces for family and gifts, so I don't like spending money if I don't have to. I would clean and reuse what you already have.

dago9000
03-19-2011, 10:05 AM
their is absolutely no reason to not reuse your spouts and tubing just make sure everything is clean. rinse with a water /bleach solution. Also remember to tap your trees at least 6 inches to the side of last years hole.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-19-2011, 04:14 PM
I tried 100 of the new CDL clear spiles this year and tried about 250 of the Leader spout adapters a couple of years ago and I see hardly any difference in the length of time the holes stay open or the amount of sap compared to spouts that have been in for several years. I do think some of the research to where replacing new spouts every year is biased because a lot of the research is funded by the manufactures. I put them in 2 south bushes exactly the same time and saw hardly any difference 2 different years.

Three Saps Sugar Shack
03-19-2011, 05:42 PM
i've come to notice if you use bleach (* any dilution ratio) you should expect alot of squirrel chews. some chemical reaction with the tubing, makes your tubing taste salty....

Mountain Winds Farm
03-19-2011, 05:43 PM
One thing I found this year in trying to reuse some of the check valve spouts from last year is that they may break on reuse either on putting them in the tree or with just the weight of the drop line and lateral hanging off of them.Makes for alot of trips up a very steep mountain for me to check ,replace spouts as they decide they no longer want to be part of this years program

adk1
03-19-2011, 08:10 PM
I have no idea what a seasonal spout is. why would you ever buy something that you can only use for one year? And how can they make something that can only be used for one year, and a year being 4 weeks max!

CBOYER
03-19-2011, 09:01 PM
As i understand plastic spouts are micro porous, and they found that bacterias came faster on second year whit same spout than whit new spouts so they devellop a very cheap disposal spout to replace each year.
Study was made by Centre Acer for CDL, conclusion was plus 17%, but maybe also related on deformation of pre-used plastic spouts. Some part of this study try to compare whit Cv spout, but wasnt gave scientific results.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2011, 10:49 PM
I think what you guys are all missing is the point, a used spout still carry bacteria in them no matter how well you think you might be cleaning them, it is next to impossible to get them back to a new state. With that said, Vac guys tap earlier and tend to have a longer season than gravity guys and that is where the difference is in yeild. The bacteria in the used spout will clog the holes up and shorten the vac season. I think there would be minimal effect on gravity as they are not producing sap for the same amount of time. If a season last say 4 weeks and you can get 4 more days of sap flow those 4 days more than paid for the 35 cents that one cost.

Monster Maples
03-20-2011, 07:07 PM
3rd gen is right, and at .16 cents a piece for the seasonals in the lapierre catalog that is cheap insurance to get a better yield through the whole year. And squirrels do love the bleach solution.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I think what you guys are all missing is the point, a used spout still carry bacteria in them no matter how well you think you might be cleaning them, it is next to impossible to get them back to a new state. With that said, Vac guys tap earlier and tend to have a longer season than gravity guys and that is where the difference is in yeild. The bacteria in the used spout will clog the holes up and shorten the vac season. I think there would be minimal effect on gravity as they are not producing sap for the same amount of time. If a season last say 4 weeks and you can get 4 more days of sap flow those 4 days more than paid for the 35 cents that one cost.

As I said earlier, I have tried them 2 different years side by side. One year it was the Leader spout adapters(5/16) and this year is was the CDL completely new clear spout(19/64) with the 45 degree angle on them and I have not been convinced or seen hardly any measurable difference between them and standard health spouts that are a few years old. If it made difference, I would spend the money but after trying 100 of the CDL's this year and 250 of the Leader 2 years ago, I feel they didn't even pay for themselves.

3rdgen.maple
03-20-2011, 09:33 PM
As I said earlier, I have tried them 2 different years side by side. One year it was the Leader spout adapters(5/16) and this year is was the CDL completely new clear spout(19/64) with the 45 degree angle on them and I have not been convinced or seen hardly any measurable difference between them and standard health spouts that are a few years old. If it made difference, I would spend the money but after trying 100 of the CDL's this year and 250 of the Leader 2 years ago, I feel they didn't even pay for themselves.

Like I said what I think you guys are missing is putting vacuum into the equation and are you not on gravity?