PDA

View Full Version : My homemade monstrosity

maple6275
03-17-2011, 07:50 PM
Well, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the knowledge spread around these forums. I'd be in my kitchen with a 2qt pot and peeling wallpaper if it wasn't for you guys.

So here's my 2nd attempt at a "scrap bin" evaporator, using found materials. Last year was my first year of sugarin, with a tiny cement block setup and about 600 sq in of pans folded from steel air duct. It worked, but it was darn slow and terribly dirty (the syrup filters were black!) But this year I came across a discarded 7' x 3' x 3' stainless steel shelving unit, just a big box. Immediately I knew what I was going to do with it.... bye bye, cement blocks!

So I cut some holes, and a few weekends later, turned it into this! Used it for the first time last weekend, and it was 10 times better than the old block rig. Inside was just empty... no internal arch structure or anything. So I stuffed it front to back with wood, and had a good day with it. Best syrup I've ever made, fancy!

But today I decided to use the left over stainless shelves to do some more improvements, creating an internal firebox about 3x3 in the front, and an internal arch for the rear portion, about 4" below the 2 rear pans. I can't wait to fire it up and see what happens this weekend! Now if I can just get a simple copper pipe preheater on there I'll be set for... well, this season at least!

http://www.mile213.com/rig.jpg

TapME
03-17-2011, 07:54 PM
Wow, nicely done. Glad to see I'm not the only one doing it outside.

whalems
03-17-2011, 08:22 PM
Did you line it with fire brick? Looks very nice!! Fire brick will help it last for years. Good luck, Mike

sams64
03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
I just got in from watching the turkey fryer and setting up my blocks to move up in my world. That looks great. While it may be your monstrosity its where I would like to be in a few years.

sam

70 Buick
03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Good thinking
line it with firebrick if you can though

as long as you are having fun, thats what counts

Kev
03-17-2011, 10:29 PM
sometimes I think the space race had nothing to do with space and everything to do with who could make the most btu's in the shortest amount of time and still do something with it....:lol:
I love seeing someone take whats otherwise scrap and getting the job done:cool:

maple6275
03-18-2011, 06:02 AM
Yeah Kev, that's one thing I like about this hobby. There are so many ways to boil water... it's interesting to see all the different contraptions people invent to do it on a shoestring budget!

I haven't lined it with firebrick, as you can probably tell by the discoloration. But it's pretty heavy gauge SS and seems to be taking the heat well. I do want to get a few seasons out of this setup though so I suppose I should investigate some brick lining...