PDA

View Full Version : Bottled amount versus actual

Paddymountain
03-17-2011, 07:36 PM
I'd like to know how everyone measures the amount of syrup they make.
I know if you bottle it, your amount will be skewed. A pint glass bottle holds
about 1 1/2 to 2 ounces over 16 ounces. So if you go by that your amount would be less than what you actually produced. The reason I'm asking is this. At the end of the year when I try to divide my sap amount into gallons produced it usally comes out to about 60 to 1. This year we never fell below 2% and we only had one small (disaster) that cost us about 2 gallon,
so I know we should be running a lower ratio than that. Ideas anyone?

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-17-2011, 08:51 PM
i measure what leaves the door. And that is in jugs. The only proof i have.

Dan W
03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
A bottle of syrup is a bottle of syrup. I too measure by what is out the door.

PerryW
03-17-2011, 10:00 PM
I use the blue 5 gal plastic drums. When I fill them I tip them and get as much syrup as possible into them. I count each drum as 5.5 gallons because, over the years, I find I can bottle 5.5 gallons worth of plastic jugs from each one. Of course, in the standardization process of bottling, I usually end up adding 12-32 oz of water to correct the density of the final product.

TapME
03-18-2011, 06:40 AM
A bottle of syrup is a bottle of syrup. I too measure by what is out the door.

You should measure how much a quart plastic container holds and you will change your min d about how much you make.

TapME
03-18-2011, 06:41 AM
Perry, I can 6 gallons in mason jars from one of those 5 gallon blue jugs. The
canadian ones hold even more. Just my experances.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-18-2011, 08:28 AM
Sugar Hill Jugs filled to the neck is right on at what they are supposed to be. I measured water in a pyrex measuring cup and poured it in and it came up to the neck.