PDA

View Full Version : remote releaser location, engine powered vacuum, and sap transefer

michiganfarmer2
03-17-2011, 09:18 AM
Im going to have a gas engine on my vacuum next year. My woods is half a mile away. I wont have electricity there. The tank under my releaser is only 100 gallon capacity. Right now I use an electric transefer pump to move the sap to the 1500 gallon storage tank. I wont have electricity next year.

Anyone els have this situation? How do you mechanically move the sap when you have no electricity? I really dont want to sped the gas money for a second engine just for sap transfer.

I might be able to get a 400 gallon tank under the releaser, but that still isnt enough.

IMthinking maybe some kind of belt powered pump to run off the gas engine that is going to run my vacuum.

Anyone do this? Give me some ideas

sugarstone
03-18-2011, 07:17 AM
I have one pump station with vac/honda and piston pump/generator. The vac/Honda is rigged with a jeri-can as main fuel tank Teed into stock tank. Use stock tank when you don't want to run the big tank. My 13hp Honda running at half-throttle lasts I think 7hrs with a 25l. jeri-can. I run a 7.5hp SIHI with vac from 20-23inches.
I pump sap 2500ft up (gradual 75ft vert. difference) to the shanty with a Pompco S-600 on a 6500watt gene, 1 1/4in line.
The sucker and the pusher are sized for 4000 taps or so and can run tandem. Between my Mechanical Releaser dumps, there is always sap in the piston pump. No worries bout wrecking it.
If sap run is slow, then I'll shut the gene (pusher) off for a few hours or whatever.

Kev
03-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Im going to have a gas engine on my vacuum next year. My woods is half a mile away. I wont have electricity there. The tank under my releaser is only 100 gallon capacity. Right now I use an electric transefer pump to move the sap to the 1500 gallon storage tank. I wont have electricity next year.

Anyone els have this situation? How do you mechanically move the sap when you have no electricity? I really dont want to sped the gas money for a second engine just for sap transfer.

I might be able to get a 400 gallon tank under the releaser, but that still isnt enough.

IMthinking maybe some kind of belt powered pump to run off the gas engine that is going to run my vacuum.

Anyone do this? Give me some ideas
what about 2 400 gal side by side? plumbed together so gravity keeps them ballanced?
dig a pit so a 1000 or 1600 gal fits under the releaser

highlandcattle
03-18-2011, 08:14 AM
Hope this helps. My husband has a portable inverter on his tractor and uses a sump pump to pump out the bulk tank to the sap tank, Works great, cheap, no problems, He just came down to the sap house with 150 gallons of sap(poly tank on small rugged trailer). Next year we're running the line down from the woods(approx. 1,000 feet) to the bulk tank right next to the sap house, more construction, but worth it. Good luck.

nymapleguy607
03-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Leader sells the hydrovacs I believe they are called. They will run the Vacuum pump and have a water pump on them as well. I think they might be able to set them up to engage the water pump by using a vac. cylinder that tensions an idler pulley when your tanl fills.
Just a thought

Buffalo Creek Sugar Camp
03-18-2011, 11:25 AM
I have 3100 taps running into a mechanical releaser. It dumps into a 100 gallon tank. I put a 12 volt sump pump ($100) in a small tank with a float. I also put an alternator on the engine of the vac pump to charge the battery for the sump pump. The sump pump pumps water to a 3000 gallon tank. We have had 2 gallon per tap per day runs this year and the $100 sump pump kept up great.

michiganfarmer2
03-21-2011, 04:49 AM
great ideas everyone. thank you all