PDA

View Full Version : Buckets are killing me

briduhunt
03-17-2011, 08:52 AM
I have been using 5 gal frosting buckets placed on the ground with tubing run thru the tops from the taps. After my last few days of a good sap run and no help (helper is on spring break) I am strongly considering on finding a local hill side to tap and run tubing. My hole body is hurting all over and my age is not helping much. I figure that I have lifted at least 1168 lbs of sap each day for the last 3 days and more to come.

I did read someone in another post saying he wanted to work out between fires on the evaporator. This guy is either "nuts" or young. (No insult intended) Even when I am not collecting I still get a workout as I am always spliting, stacking and firing every 12 min.

I believe that if I can tap a hill side I could reduce my collecting time and wear and tear to my body.

May your sap run hard and long.

PapaSmiff
03-17-2011, 10:35 AM
I'm worried about the same problems, since I'm hoping to dramatically increase my number of taps over the next few years. I'm also using Bakery buckets. My primary helper is only 10 yrs old and not available on a daily basis, so I'm on my own.

How many taps to you have now?

len
03-17-2011, 12:01 PM
A yoke might help some. I carried buckets one year during a heavy run, and a yoke sure seemed like a good idea. Board with a neck notch, shoulder padding, rope at each end tied to two 5 gal pails. Pick pails up with legs, and hold down on the pail handles while walking. Include modified easy on/ off lids to keep splashing down. It would be ~ 10 gal, and ~ 80lb per trip, but it would be carried better that way, verses the arms....

briduhunt
03-17-2011, 01:18 PM
I do believe a yoke would work better but I still have to bend down for each bucket and that alone takes a toll on the old body.

I have 146 buckets. and a total of 210 taps.

I was always told to make work easier and my solution is to tube a hill side and back the truck up to the tank and pump from one tank to another. More taps and less wear and tear on the body.

Russ
03-17-2011, 02:23 PM
We try to never ever have to carry sap uphill. Use gravity to your advantage. Let pumps do the transfer work into a truck/ATV/trailer tank, and once the sap is on wheels, who cares where you have to take it?

adk1
03-17-2011, 03:55 PM
I hear you there. I was planning on starting out with 100 sap sacks and collecting using 5 gallon buckets and then a dump station. Everythign is on a hill. I have since decided I am gonna start out with tubing, I was crazy to think otherwise

Ausable
03-17-2011, 06:05 PM
I have been using 5 gal frosting buckets placed on the ground with tubing run thru the tops from the taps. After my last few days of a good sap run and no help (helper is on spring break) I am strongly considering on finding a local hill side to tap and run tubing. My hole body is hurting all over and my age is not helping much. I figure that I have lifted at least 1168 lbs of sap each day for the last 3 days and more to come.

I did read someone in another post saying he wanted to work out between fires on the evaporator. This guy is either "nuts" or young. (No insult intended) Even when I am not collecting I still get a workout as I am always spliting, stacking and firing every 12 min.

I believe that if I can tap a hill side I could reduce my collecting time and wear and tear to my body.

May your sap run hard and long.

Makes me feel a little better - knowing - that I'm not the only one hurting during Sugarin Season. Yep - my knees - shoulders - back ---- Oh heck - everything on me aches. Yesterday - I was finishing syrup - outside - still snow all over - but beautiful out and I was able to actually sit down once in awhile. ----- I have downsized to 2 gallon gathering pails - can't do the 5 gallon routine anymore. When I can - I use the ATV to help me gather - Use a pump to fill my feed tank --- anything to make it easier. This is off subject -- But I really like finishing syrup - now - that after all these years - I finally became bright enough to use a syrup hydrometer. Dang - I was sure stupid not to get one when I first started. Watching for small bubbles and laddering help - not an exact (Its done) science --- I'd get a pain pill - but - don't think I can stand up -- Got to -- My oldest Grandson is bringing me up another 120 gallons of sap in the am to go with my own --- Tomorrow is another busy day --- see ya guys and gals --- Mike

cpmaple
03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
I hear you all on hurting i'm about worn out collecting 350 bucks everyday by myself. And i must walk a 1/2 mile to my farthest bucket and wonder everyday why do i do this just because one i'm young and two love sugaring cant wait till this weekend to get new to me 5x10 evaporator and try it out big upgrade from my flat pan 2x6.Hope season stay like it is and long.

adk1
03-17-2011, 06:46 PM
cpmaple! wow, that is a big upgrade! nice! I was watching a guy work a 4x12 or 14..today..wow, he could really make some syrup with it..

Dan W
03-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I am kind of in the same boat. My 30 year old son (who lives next door) has no interest in my hobby and has helped me collect twice this year for a total of maybe 1.5 hours. The farthest I carry pails is about 100 feet, but doing 6 or 7 trips that far gets to my knees. I have figured out a pattern that minimizes re-tracing steps but it still is a chore. It is great exercise and I ain't complainin'.

Paddymountain
03-17-2011, 07:45 PM
I had about 180 buckets out this year, and it didn't go too bad, the worst part is about 20 are on a bank along the road, it's fine when they are first tapped .But when the snow leaves look out. It's a little tough reaching over your head to dump a bucket. Anyway I could gather them all in about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, not bad for a grandpa. The wife helped one morning after a snow, I heard a noise and looked down the road to see her sprawled out in the ditch. First thing out of her mouth was "I DIDN"T SPILL ANY SAP", ya gotta love it!

RangerEric
12-28-2012, 05:24 AM
Where can I get a yoke?

I am volunteering at a local nature center on Long Island to help them teach kids about their Maple Sugaring History in NY. To help them appreciate Maple Syrup, I want to give them a lasting memory of the experience by asking the classes to help me collect and process the sap into syrup. I have spiels, tubing, buckets, pots, pans, and pancake batter. What I REALLY NEED is a yoke so the kids can experience the weight of the sap buckets, (and also tie into engineering design in NYS Standards!).
Sincerely,
Eric

twitch
12-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Hay ranger rick there is a wood working shop beside the fab shop i work at. Its a little one man operation and he has some yokes that he made they are nice if you want i can send you some pictures. Let me know.

Where can I get a yoke?

I am volunteering at a local nature center on Long Island to help them teach kids about their Maple Sugaring History in NY. To help them appreciate Maple Syrup, I want to give them a lasting memory of the experience by asking the classes to help me collect and process the sap into syrup. I have spiels, tubing, buckets, pots, pans, and pancake batter. What I REALLY NEED is a yoke so the kids can experience the weight of the sap buckets, (and also tie into engineering design in NYS Standards!).
Sincerely,
Eric

Red-bellied Woodpecker
01-10-2013, 09:23 AM
I know your pain. Right now I have 2000 taps (1100 buckets) and by the end of the season I'm one tired puppy. Will be puting 1500 of those taps on vac in 2015...I have taken to work hard now for a few season so I can make things better down the road.