PDA

View Full Version : Which New Pan Design?

Pibster
03-17-2011, 06:12 AM
I want to upgrade my small shallow pan to a proper pan. I plan to make a 24" x 30" pan out of stainless or mild steel. I like the design with the baffles and drains at each end but I was wondering if the baffles will be beneficial. I only boil on the weekends so I'm just doing batches. Are these baffle pans good for batches or more of an on-going daily boil? I usually spend all day boiling 100 liters so I'm trying to make the process easier.

Bernie/MA
03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
The pan I just built for my grandson is 18x36" with 2 baffles 6" apart lengthways making 3 sections. He takes off syrup several times in a day's boiling.

Pibster
03-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Do you just keep stirring it a bit to allow everything to boil evenly near the end of the boiling day? Or can you just cover up the pan and resume boiling the next day?

rookie
03-20-2011, 06:48 PM
does anyone have an answer to this cause I was gonna ask the same question

bluebay
03-22-2011, 07:21 AM
At the end you need to boil the sap down to a level your comfortable with(don't burn your pan), then add water just like you were adding sap to the far side of the pan. The water will push all the cooked sap to the front(draw off portion of your divided pan), you will see the color change(and boil line) dividing the water and cooked sap . I take the first part and reduce it further on my turkey fryer or stove. The sap from the last part I save and use to start my next boil. Once the sap is out I am left with clean hot water in my pan, which I use to clean the pan, and protect it while the fire dies out. Works pretty slick. This is my second year with a divided pan, take your time use some caution and you will not go back to a flat pan. Have fun

Pibster
03-22-2011, 10:37 AM
That sounds pretty slick. I guess I will add the baffles.