PDA

View Full Version : Visit from the Fire Department

Bruce L
03-16-2011, 07:41 PM
Both holding tanks were on the edge of going over this morning from running all night,so that meant the 800 gallon holding tank at the sugarhouse would be full,so I really pushed the rig to get done quickly.I was pouring the dry pine slabs to it,syrup coming off every 15-20 minutes,then I get a visit from the local fire chief.He tells me they have been getting a lot of calls about black smoke,lots of steam that looks like smoke,asks me what I am burning.I told him pine slabs,he says "Oh that explains it",then asks if I can slow it down some!!!!!!!!!!! I ask him what time his day finishes,he tells me he is on his way home now(it is 4:00 in the afternoon),I said no way,my day finishes when that holding tank is empty,the sooner the better,end of story.

adk1
03-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Both holding tanks were on the edge of going over this morning from running all night,so that meant the 800 gallon holding tank at the sugarhouse would be full,so I really pushed the rig to get done quickly.I was pouring the dry pine slabs to it,syrup coming off every 15-20 minutes,then I get a visit from the local fire chief.He tells me they have been getting a lot of calls about black smoke,lots of steam that looks like smoke,asks me what I am burning.I told him pine slabs,he says "Oh that explains it",then asks if I can slow it down some!!!!!!!!!!! I ask him what time his day finishes,he tells me he is on his way home now(it is 4:00 in the afternoon),I said no way,my day finishes when that holding tank is empty,the sooner the better,end of story.

are you serious! that is crazy. what ever happened to tradition! not like your burning tires!

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I would keep on rolling. There is no reason for you to stop boiling because of a little steam!

No Clue Farms
03-16-2011, 08:43 PM
As a Fire Fighter and a Fire Chief (2 jobs) I try to let people do as they please with their property and hate open burning complaints, but a sugar house is not in any way an open burn so this guy should have looked, laughed, and went home

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-16-2011, 08:46 PM
As a Fire Fighter and a Fire Chief (2 jobs) I try to let people do as they please with their property and hate open burning complaints, but a sugar house is not in any way an open burn so this guy should have looked, laughed, and went home

I agree, it is contained and you are supporting the local economyand causing no hazard.