PDA

View Full Version : need buckets in WI

wi newbie
03-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I posted this in the classifieds as well, but thought maybe the Wisconsin forum may be a good place, too.
I've spent a lot of time reading this forum and have built my "syrup operation" from a few taps and a turkey cooker a few years ago, to about 150 taps and a half pint evaporator this year. I have been using 5 gallon buckets and plastic taps and tubing, but am realizing this isn't what I want to do, and would like to get galv./aluminum taps and buckets. I would hopefully like to get at least 200, but may consider more or less. Anybody have any leads- thinking that maybe somebody that has/is switching to a tubing system may be selling out their buckets? Thanks a lot.

Russ
03-16-2011, 05:28 PM
If I was starting from scratch without tubing, I would go the bag holder/bag route. Cleaner, less rain impact, less space for storage. Bag holders keep their value if taken care of. Two cons: When frozen, you gotta wait for sap to thaw where in a bucket you can usually work the ice puck out; and if in a brushy area or one prone to squirrels, you'll get bag leaks. We don't have the squirrel problem anymore. 8-)

WI Sugarpop
03-16-2011, 08:19 PM
We started out with 5 gal buckets and then we switched to 60 bag holders. Then my brother got interested in the maple bug so last year my brother and his son and my son and I made about 280 holders. We didn't like the idea of having to clean buckets. We have a little problem with squirrels.