PDA

View Full Version : lime build up?

tbear
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I've pulled my buckets and am cleaning everything up. I have a scale (lime?) build up on the inside of my 2x4 flat pan. What's the best way to get rid of it? Scrubbing like heck with a green scratchy pad helps but man I'll be at it full time for months at this rate. I've been thinking of using a wire brush on a drill. Is that a good idea? I'm kinda worried the brush will scratch up the inside pretty bad. Not sure how important that would be. Then again...do I even need to worry about removing the build up? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can't say enough how helpful this site has been..Man...the mistakes I've made over the last few years. Anyway...Suggestions?

tbear
03-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Never mind. I've since found out that the crusty buildup is called niter (nitre). It cleaned off very nicely with vinigar and warm water. It's amazing what you can find out with the search function. But I suppose like anything new a guy doesn't even know what questions to ask. Glad the forum and you folks are here! Thanks!

PerryW
03-16-2011, 06:14 PM
I use Pan Acid, which is sold at the Maple Supply Places. It's made specifically for cleaning of the Niter (AKA Sugar Sand)

03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
put some sap and let it turn to vinegar and that will take away alot of lime