PDA

View Full Version : Freaked out last night

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-16-2011, 09:51 AM
Once things get going each night I check the sugar content in my sap. Last night I did the same thing.

Sap was at 5%!!! My eyes were as big a softballs. The previous night it was 2%.

I took the hydrometer cup in the shop and put it on the bench so the hydrometer wasn't moving. Sure enough, 5% sap. No way anyone is going to believe this, so I get my cell phone camera out to take pictures. Can't get a picture where you can see the numbers on the hydrometer. So I run to the house and get my good camera and zoom in to get a good pic.

Cool, so I go back outside and think maybe I should take another sample to make sure of what I was seeing. 2% on this cup. What the heck, then it dawned on me that I had not rinsed out the hydrometer cup from the night before. Still had syrup in it from the previous night.

Oh well, it was fun getting excited for a few minutes. Then it was back to the grind of getting 95 gallons burned off before i could go to bed.

Don't ya just love this hobby/job!!!

pierre
03-16-2011, 07:24 PM
good one!!!http://mapletrader.com/community/images/smilies/lol.gif! wouldn't it be nice if it was 5% all the time???

adk1
03-16-2011, 07:26 PM
that would do it, mental note to myself...

buck3m
03-16-2011, 07:48 PM
It probably is. : )

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I did that same thing a few weeks ago. :lol: Then i experimented in the kitchen mixing water and table sugar and couldnt get over like 1 % sugar. the trees do good work.