PDA

View Full Version : First Year

Spile4Me
03-16-2011, 12:11 AM
Last Friday at 1pm my husband and I tapped 4 trees (6 taps) and in an hour and a half we had over 10 gallons of sap. After a few emptying, by 1pm the next day we had over 32 gallons of sap. I can't imagine this is normal. Nothing to speak of Monday, maybe 4 gallons of sap total. Today at around 1pm again, the flood gates opened and in 3 hours I had 9 gallons of sap. So a little slower than the first day, but still pretty good?

We are learning every day during this process and enjoying most every minute :rolleyes:

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Ausable
03-16-2011, 05:23 AM
Last Friday at 1pm my husband and I tapped 4 trees (6 taps) and in an hour and a half we had over 10 gallons of sap. After a few emptying, by 1pm the next day we had over 32 gallons of sap. I can't imagine this is normal. Nothing to speak of Monday, maybe 4 gallons of sap total. Today at around 1pm again, the flood gates opened and in 3 hours I had 9 gallons of sap. So a little slower than the first day, but still pretty good?

We are learning every day during this process and enjoying most every minute :rolleyes:

Can't wait for tomorrow!

LOL --- Normal ---- more like a gift from Mother Nature and thats great. The old Girl has been mighty stingy with me this year. Yesterday was my best day so far this year - 10 gallons from 55 trees...... the weather finally broke here - been too cold. My Son gave me 95 gallons of his sap - so - with my 25 gallons - finally did a Boil. Sap flow is a funny thing - when you have the time to deal with it --- nothing. When You have a million things going on - the sap flow peaks and you get over whelmed. Hey -- the best to You and Your Hubby and welcome to Syrup making. ----- Mike

Backyard Sapper66
03-16-2011, 05:24 AM
Good luck and have fun. My wife and I enjoy the time we spend together collectimg sap and boiling it. The kids like helping when their not busy doing their thing. This is our 3rd year and are up to 52 taps.
Glad you posted, lots of great people on here.
Have a "sappy" day!!
Doug
:)

ckkrotz
03-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Wow! That's more sap from your 6 taps than my husband and I have gotten all season from our 8 taps! Have fun!

Spile4Me
03-16-2011, 01:03 PM
Thank you so much for the nice welcome

I went out this morning and collected another 10 gallons. I bought 2 more taps and buckets, all they had. I guess I am gonna ask my neighbor if I can tap his trees. lol I just ordered my hydrometers, filter, and I found a pan 12X20X6. I am a happy girl. Can't wait to boil this weekend. Its pouring here, I don't want to check the buckets, lol i might be hooked

Spile4Me
03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Well we asked our neighbor across the street to tap a few of his trees. Between his 6 taps and our 6 taps, we had another approx 40 gallons to boil. Yield was good color was a beautiful dark amber maybe. Then we collected last week and by Saturday had another 40. This yield was different. It produced a golden syrup that had nice vanilla and smoky undertones. We really like that one.
Someone gave us a woodstove and my hubby and his friend decide they are gonna get this thing hot enough to boil. Do I need to go on? Last Saturday was quite long. It was full of laughs and this experience so far.....yes I said so far. I will get to that. Anyways, this has been an experience I will never forget.
Next year will be so much more organized and less chaotic. lol Its almost embarassing to post a photo in here. There are so many experts, I may feel silly but I guess its all part of the learning curve.

Here we go again....From Sunday through yesterday I have 43 gallons of sap. Oh my, no way I can wait til weekend, temps are in 40's rest of week. But then someone mentioned N'or Easter this Friday too. So I need that top cut out of the woodstove pretty darn fast. Oh I forgot to mention hubby on nights this week. hahaha this is gonna be interesting. Wish me luck I have to boil today or tomorrow

NH/Pete
03-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Well we asked our neighbor across the street to tap a few of his trees. Between his 6 taps and our 6 taps, we had another approx 40 gallons to boil. Yield was good color was a beautiful dark amber maybe. Then we collected last week and by Saturday had another 40. This yield was different. It produced a golden syrup that had nice vanilla and smoky undertones. We really like that one.
Someone gave us a woodstove and my hubby and his friend decide they are gonna get this thing hot enough to boil. Do I need to go on? Last Saturday was quite long. It was full of laughs and this experience so far.....yes I said so far. I will get to that. Anyways, this has been an experience I will never forget.
Next year will be so much more organized and less chaotic. lol Its almost embarassing to post a photo in here. There are so many experts, I may feel silly but I guess its all part of the learning curve.

Here we go again....From Sunday through yesterday I have 43 gallons of sap. Oh my, no way I can wait til weekend, temps are in 40's rest of week. But then someone mentioned N'or Easter this Friday too. So I need that top cut out of the woodstove pretty darn fast. Oh I forgot to mention hubby on nights this week. hahaha this is gonna be interesting. Wish me luck I have to boil today or tomorrow

This whole Noreaster thing sure won't make boiling easy. :mad:
Not looking forward to more shoveling. Maybe it will miss us.