PDA

View Full Version : Tapping trees with cracks/wounds that are flowing sap

Minnesota Acer
03-15-2011, 10:58 PM
So, I'm wondering how people determine how many taps to put into a tree that has one or mutiple cracks/wounds on it. For my part, I tend to see a crack/wound as a tap. So, if the tree is big enough for two then I'll just add one and see the crack/wound as the other tap, albeit, doing me no good, but none the same a tap. Then again I tend to error on the side of caution when it comes to tapping. I ask b/c one of the trees has a small crack (6/7 inches long and thick enough to be more than hairline but definitely under a millimeter) in it, that's dripping sap. It's not dripping as fast as the tap I have in the tree, but none the same it's dripping. Anyway, the diameter is about 28 inches, which should be able to handle three taps, but I'm thinking of just throwing in one more and calling it even. So, how do you make the call? Do you just say, "forget it" or do you take small/minor wounds/cracks into consideration?

michiganfarmer2
03-18-2011, 06:56 AM
I havent come accross any of those. My first thgouht it tap it to death, then cull it after the season.

TF Maple
03-18-2011, 09:01 AM
It is my understanding that the tap number isn't based on how much sap you can safely remove from the tree ( I don't think anyone knows what that amount is). It is to ensure you have good wood to tap into for the life of the tree. As you tap around the tree you want it to have time to heal up the old holes and grow new wood over them so you will be able to tap in the old spots in future years and keep going around the tree. So, that would mean you can use whatever number of taps the tree can handle and don't count the sap loss from holes.

Timber Juice
03-18-2011, 02:07 PM
I agree with both these guys.

Trees that have a tendency to crack don't heal as well, attract more pests and diseases, are not as strong and will split and break apart easier.

Do you want all the trees like that? Of course not, so you need to cull.

If there is time this year, ring them with taps, then cut your firewood.

Or if you think they will survive, get the jump on them next year.

Goodluck

Ed R
03-18-2011, 06:12 PM
I would first try to determine what 's causing the crack/wound. I would bet its from the cold winter. I tap away from the wound/crack, don't reduce the number of taps(unless its a 10-12" tree) , and monitor the sap flow of the tree(we're on buckets) for a couple of years. If sap flow is diminished and there is a better tree adjacent that tree we cull it.

03-23-2011, 05:50 AM
Some oF my trees have cracks where branches are separated and have grown together and they cracked naturally