PDA

View Full Version : not sure what happened, any ideas?!

foursapssyrup
03-15-2011, 09:07 PM
we had our 12th boil tonight, and things were looking great. we were close to a draw off so we were checking with the hydrometer regularly and watching the thermometer. thermometer said 220*, so we checked with the hydrometer and it didn't read near finished ( couldn't even see the hot test writing), so i said let it go untill the hydro says draw!!

well, within 60-80 seconds, the boil changed completely (super small bubbles, almost like making jam), and the temp shot up to 230+. we open the draw off, flooded the pans, and opened the firebox door. smelled burnt :o. checked it with the hydrometer and it was below the 60* mark! at 200*
Haven't checked the bottom of the pans yet, not sure if they are burnt or not, but we were running 1.25-1.5" of fluid in them so i hope they aren't. gonna look in the morning.

any ideas on what went wrong?

BobU
03-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Don't know for sure, But I think you will find that your hydrometer is broken. A broken bottom has let in syrup and is weighing down the hydrometer. At least thats what happened to us once, now we are way careful, check the hydrometers often, and have spares.

PerryW
03-15-2011, 09:55 PM
sometime when running shallow, syrup can develop in the center of the pan. Especially if the pan is out of level or warped.

maple flats
03-16-2011, 04:23 AM
Look for sugar sand in the pan. Also check the hydrometer. If it has hit the bottom a few times the paper can slide down, ruining the accuracy. Many shows feature a hydrometer testing and re-calibrating. If the hydrometer actually has a hairline crack, throw it away.

foursapssyrup
03-16-2011, 04:26 PM
just emptied the front pan. it was one of those "please don't be burnt, aww crap.... moments. not bad, and was able to clean it up with some steel woolc and elbow grease. found the dividers have some large gaps under them allowing sap to mix in. the bottom of the pan is a little warped, like a camels hump, but only 1/16 to 1/8" at most.

i think i should seal up the dividers and finish off the season. they were originally soldered, what could i use to seal them?

have a backup brand new hydrometer we will be using to check the other one. and probably run the level a bit deeper.

adk1
03-16-2011, 07:08 PM
must be the hydro malfunctioned for sure. Good point, I will buy two hydrometers now

foursapssyrup
03-17-2011, 09:33 PM
we emptied the pans and threw away what was in the front one. started last night from scratch, and have the pans sweetened again. only collecting 40-50 gals per day so should be able to get some syrup either tom. or sat. then i can check both hydrometers and see whats going on with them. when compared side by side, they are noticeably different.

so i think it was a combination of mixing between the dividers causing syrup to pass back into the middle channel and overcooking, and possibly a broken hydrometer.

PerryW
03-17-2011, 09:53 PM
One comment from soneone who has burned his front pan twice (bad enough to leak).

If the temperature shoots up and you are way beyond syrup, don't try to draw off. It only creates more of a deficit in the pan. Fling the doors open and concentrating on getting hot sap dippered into the front pan.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-17-2011, 10:01 PM
that happened to Randy the other afternoon. He said it went from 219 to 230 in a matter of 10 to 15 seconds. He's learning, shut fans off immediately and is running syrup pan 2" to 2.5" deep which prob. saved him.

maple sapper
03-21-2011, 11:32 AM
A few things I do that may help. First thing I do when I get my hydrometer is make markings on the outside of the tube or box it comes. I mark the hot and cold lines with the hydrometer flush at the bottom. This allows me to recheck it and see if the paper has moved. Secondly, I have a soft foam pad I store my hydrometers on so they are less likely to roll off the pad and onto the floor. Of course I always clean it with clean water before each measurment cause the dried syrup will weigh it down.

I also have a pan that makes syrup in the back of the last channel. So when I see the bubbles gearing up, I draw some almost syrup off and get it to force its way to the valve. from there on it pretty much moves regularly. Ive had the 220 up to 240 a few times and figured this out with a second thermometer in the back of the last channel and one it in the second to last. Hope this helps.

Tweegs
03-21-2011, 02:59 PM
During a boil, we keep the hygrometer in a plastic pitcher of water. Only the upper inch of the hygrometer is above the water line. Keeps it clean, it won’t roll around, and the bottom of the pitcher is soft enough that a gentle thunk of the hygrometer hitting the bottom won’t break it.

I like the idea of making a few marks here and there to check the cal. Going to use it.