PDA

View Full Version : maple cream

maplefrank
03-15-2011, 08:42 PM
can maple cream sit on a shelf???or does it have to be in the fridge????

adk1
03-15-2011, 08:44 PM
can maple cream sit on a shelf???or does it have to be in the fridge????

of course it can, but it will need to be mixed up before use.

maplefrank
03-15-2011, 08:49 PM
what i mean is......can i pt it in a store w/out refrigeration??? have a chance to pt products in a store on the shelf....

adk1
03-15-2011, 08:51 PM
I wouldnt recomend that for any length of time. Maybe put a few empty containers on the shelf and then if someone wants to buy, just give them one out of a fridge?

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-08-2011, 05:35 PM
just bought some last weekend camping, thought it was Randy's but when I opened it up there was liquid syrup at the top so I had to mix it up before I used it. Is that normal? it was sitting in airconditioned store shelf.

Sugarmaker
08-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Yes separation is normal. The printed cream containers even have instructions that Alert buyers to this. Just stir it back in and it should be fine.
I would keep it refrigerated until sold should make for a better product for your customers. I would say it could set out for many hours like at a sales booth or farmers market with out hurting it.
Regards,
Chris

red maples
08-20-2011, 07:53 PM
I keep mine in a cooler with ice packs in the farm stand....along with eggs for sale. Stays nice and chilly in there. but yes some separation is normal just stir and it will re-emulsify

philkasza
09-15-2011, 07:51 AM
We tried making some maple cream but it never worked out, this is how it went: We heated it up to 234 or so we thought then found out the thermometer was not accurate (the paper with the numbers was sliding up and down)so we don't know how hot it was but we stirred it for an hour in the cream machine, nothing happened so we got another thermo and tried again up to 235 put it in the freezer till was pretty cold then stirred and it turn to really sandy cream almost as hard as sugar. So what did we do wrong? Did heating the second time cause it or did we heat it too hot? I think the first heating was not much above 220.
Thanks in advance
Sam

maple2
09-16-2011, 06:52 AM
i have found that after heating,cooling,and stiring once,there is no bringing it back to cream. i think because granuals started to form the first time. cook it down some more. it will probably make great granulated sugar

maplwrks
09-16-2011, 09:28 PM
If you make your cream with one of the new type cream machines, you should see no separation for a year or better. If you make it in a paddle type or in a candy machine, plan on separation. You better pack it in plastic, as separated cream doesn't sell.