PDA

View Full Version : Gummy syrup

sweetwoodmaple
01-02-2006, 06:02 PM
A question...I had some syrup that came along with the equipment that i just purchased from another sugarmaker that was not going to sugar anymore.

A few of the large gallon jugs had some syrup (kind of in a layer) that was a weird consistency - almost like it gelled or something. It was clear, so i was assuning that it wasn't sugar sand.

Anyone have any experience here?

Thanks - Brian

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-02-2006, 10:00 PM
Kevin,

You hit the name on the head. I had some syrup that sat in a cellar that was several years old in plastic quart sugarhill and it did the same thing. I always finish my syrup 1 degrees brix thicker than stanard, so it wasn't light. Guess it was just getting old as it was at least 6 years but being in a cellar, the temp didn't flucuate and there was basically no light. :?

sweetwoodmaple
01-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks. This syrup was not moldy, but was in a plastic container that was out in the sugarhouse with no heat for storage, so it definately had temp fluctuations.

Some of the jugs are fine and others have this problem. Weird thing is...the syrup tastes perfectly normal. It's just went you dip a fork in it, it sticks like diluted glue! Also, if you like warm syrup, you don't notice it.

Regardless, these are now for personal use or cooking. Oh well...live and learn.

Brian