PDA

View Full Version : Can someone ID these trees

Southtowns27
03-15-2011, 12:18 PM
I have a bunch of trees in my woods, not 100% sure what they are. I have an idea, but I want to hear what everyone else says first.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Southtowns27/Maple%20Syrup%202011/Picture026.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Southtowns27/Maple%20Syrup%202011/Picture027.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Southtowns27/Maple%20Syrup%202011/Picture025.jpg

Kev
03-15-2011, 12:25 PM
looks kinda like my dads white birch tree in the center pic.
all the pics of the same trees?

maple sapper
03-15-2011, 12:27 PM
I belive those are poplar. Very soft wood. you can bend and snap the branches really easy.

zeiwaugmide
03-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Aspen, with a couple maples in the top and bottom pic. Center pic is aspen.

ROCK MAPLE
03-15-2011, 12:35 PM
Popple, (poplar), populus tremula

Good for nothing

Indiana-Jones
03-15-2011, 01:00 PM
Quaking Aspen. When the leaves come on look at the stem and see if it is flat, not round. A flat stem makes the tree to appear to shake in a light breeze.

Not a robust tree. I had one fall across a pickup truck cab. Then I took off the doors, cut the cab and the windshield off flat with the hood. It was great fun to drive around in. We called it the Pervertable. It was before digital cameras.

MainelyMaple
03-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Bringing me back to my dendro days in college... I'm almost certain those are all poplar, which is in the populus family like the quaking aspen, which may be why there is some confusion, they have some similarities.

like mentioned above junk trees, not good for burning or lumber, they tip over easily and they don't even look that nice.

steve J
03-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Looks like good evaporator wood for the future seasons

Gravel
03-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Looks like useless trees to me, I mean poplar!! I am sure thats what these are. It will burn hot if you can get it dry but it will put a fire out if you dont!

jasonl6
03-15-2011, 03:03 PM
If you want to burn it make sure to split it. If you leave them solid chucks they will rot before they dry. Makes great firewood for the evap. IF you have allot you can sell it as pulp wood.

Jason

03-15-2011, 03:12 PM
they are popular and they make good trim or if you know somonewho traps beaver they would use them for bait

sandman6921
03-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Had my own logging business for 8 years... Those are aspen. Not good for anything, way to wet to burn. Only thing they are good for is for flying squirrels to nest in the punky center. Not poplar. Not only do they look different, poplar has great looking lumber and is worth some $$

heus
03-23-2011, 09:16 PM
Its Quaking Aspen

treefinder
03-23-2011, 09:31 PM
those trees are poplar and they are great burning in a evaporator , split it let it dry and it burns hot and fast with hardly know ashes. i know for a fact thats what they are . everybody that answered somthing differant don't live in new york.these are commonly found here. and we've all cut them and used them.

CBOYER
03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Ok, everybody is right, As per Boreal forest.org , Poplar, Quaking Aspen, Trembling Aspen, Golden Aspen, and Mountain Aspen are all the same tree, just different names related to areas. it is one of the more widely distributed tree in N.A.

Soft wood, used for pulp and "Aspenite" particle boards. If you want to burn it, split it, let it dry not more than 1 year, longer it will go in fumes very fast!!

Watch top of these tree when you cut them, sometimes big branches drops.

802maple
03-23-2011, 10:14 PM
I use them for lumber quite often as long as you put it together when it is green it is easy to work with, but it becomes very hard when dry. Alot of popular is used in molding and finish work, such as cabinet interiors and frame work as long as it is going to be in dry climate.

treefinder
03-23-2011, 10:19 PM
my brothers father in law uses this alot to build with but have you every tried to drive a nail in it when it dries? i can tell you it makes black finger nails ! ouch!! stuffs like concrete. i didn't know it had any other name then poplar.

DanC
03-24-2011, 06:13 AM
They are aspen trees, look at the leaves on the ground if they are smooth its quaking aspen, if they have serrated edges they are big tooth aspen. Here in New England its common for most people to call aspen, "poplar" even though they are aspen. Kind of like they call ruffed grouse, "partridge".:)

If you cut them down, make sure you split them right away, as they rot quickly in the round and begin to smell awful, kinda like cat piss.

Dan

Indiana-Jones
03-24-2011, 08:08 AM
Here in Southern Indiana what we call Poplar is also called tulip tree. I think that it is really Yellow Poplar and this is what is used in trim molding and lumber. The tree grows straight and fast. A mature Yellow Poplar is huge, 4 or 5 foot across. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron

The trees in the picture are Aspens and are related to cotton woods. I have a stand of quaking aspens that I saved when we cleared to build our house. They look nice in the fall, golden leaves. My mom wanted one for her yard, we dug a sapling and planted it. It turned out to be a cotton wood. It is a big mess and she won't let me cut it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspen

70 Buick
03-24-2011, 07:23 PM
the Gov't just came in to clean the forest behind our house last year they cut all of those down, and left only the maples :)
They sure do grow really fast and spread quickly

I burn them , just split em and leave them for a season before burning

Southtowns27
03-24-2011, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I thought they were poplar...I guess they are? Or not? Or aspen? lol

jason grossman
03-24-2011, 08:12 PM
having spent all my life in the woods and having a forestry degree i can tell you they are Aspen populus genus either big tooth or quaking or small tooth. probably big tooth. Poplar is a totally different tree. my sugar house is built from all tuilp poplar or yellow poplar timber framing. apsen is a clone tree often many stems growing from one parent tree. poplar is always grow from a single seed. now if you live in the west wisconsin or michigan, or the east vermont, new hampshire or maine it's popple. all in all poplar is a great tree for building and hardwood lumber , Aspen is only good on the back of a pulp truck headed to the mill! my 2 cents.

WI Sugarpop
03-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Had my own logging business for 8 years... Those are aspen. Not good for anything, way to wet to burn. Only thing they are good for is for flying squirrels to nest in the punky center. Not poplar. Not only do they look different, poplar has great looking lumber and is worth some $$

I second that!!!

Luneyburg
03-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Popple, (poplar), populus tremula

Good for nothing

Not entirely true as its one of the most used paint grade wood marketed now :)

When i logged we always passed them up as we considered them junk as you have mentioned , then someone figured out how stable , straight, fast growing they were and how well they hold paint and boom they suddenly became a sought after tree.
Also a side note beavers love em dearly :) for food and creating dams

Have to agree with someone else who posted , looks to be a Quaking aspen.

happy thoughts
03-30-2011, 02:27 PM
I came across this weird site today. Poplar syrup? Could this be true???

http://www.ehow.com/how_6525747_tap-poplar-trees.html

I always considered our quaking aspens garbage trees because they seem prone to scale. But as a member of the poplar family could they be tapped? Anyone ever heard of this or better yet tried it?