PDA

View Full Version : Which Red Line?

tatescape
03-15-2011, 07:27 AM
OK, went out and purchased a hydrometer. Has both Baume and Brix scales. It shows the red lines for coll vs. hot temps, but the cool temps line is equal to the 66.5 brix scale. Have been checking the syrup hot at that line. Am I doing things right? At the Hot line, brix scale is measuring 60Brix and syrup looks too thin. Need Help. Thanks.

mapleack
03-15-2011, 07:30 AM
OK, went out and purchased a hydrometer. Has both Baume and Brix scales. It shows the red lines for coll vs. hot temps, but the cool temps line is equal to the 66.5 brix scale. Have been checking the syrup hot at that line. Am I doing things right? At the Hot line, brix scale is measuring 60Brix and syrup looks too thin. Need Help. Thanks.

The hot line should be to test syrup at 211 degrees and the cold line at 60 degrees. The lines are only accurate at those temperatures. Alternatively use this chart : http://www.duffyslanemaple.ca/Making-syrup/Temp-Brix.pdf

Maple Ridge
03-15-2011, 07:48 AM
The top red line is your hot line. That is the one you should be using.

PerryW
03-15-2011, 08:52 AM
Syrup always seems thin at hot temperatures. Let is cool down and I'll wager it will seem nice and thick.

If you can see the cold test line when testing syrup hot from the drawoff. Get a dipper and put some hot sap in the front pan quickly as you are about to burn your front pan.

tatescape
03-15-2011, 06:16 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. Looks like I have been using the wrong line. Anyone want to buy some maple shelac?

Kev
03-15-2011, 09:09 PM
Thanks for your help everyone. Looks like I have been using the wrong line. Anyone want to buy some maple shelac?

if it aint burned you can thin it. or you are already part way to maple candy or even sugar, thats what i ended up doing the one time i did it (cooked to the cold test line)