PDA

View Full Version : Corn

lmathews
03-15-2011, 06:11 AM
I know it is not maple,but need to come up with a way to dry corn.I have combined corn that is 23% moisture and would like some ideas how to dry it without it being a big production.Any help would be great, Thanks

RevDoc
03-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Can't imagine why you picked corn that wet. If you don't have access to a batch dryer or a floor dryer, you're going to have to grind, mix and feed it before it goes bad, or sell it as carp bait.:)

Kev
03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
put batches in your clothes dryer... in loose filled sacks made from panty hose
heck I bet you could dry it pretty fast in a coffee roaster.
in panty hose in front of your furnace register, in front of a wood stove. in the oven on cookie sheets with the door open like for broiling.
but my real question is how do you have 23 percent mosture corn in the spring that is not well,.... corn mash? LOL

lmathews
03-19-2011, 10:18 AM
The farmer put it in gravity wagons and that does not let air get to it.

gmcooper
03-19-2011, 09:38 PM
Are you trying to dry HMSC? I've never heard of anyone doing that. Even in a tight gravity wagon I would think it would either ferment or mold in a short time.

Kev
03-19-2011, 09:49 PM
Are you trying to dry HMSC? I've never heard of anyone doing that. Even in a tight gravity wagon I would think it would either ferment or mold in a short time.
Especialy in a tight vessel of any kind.
I kinda wonder if it was not dry last fall and has since absorbed a bunch of moisture.

MASSEY JACK
03-20-2011, 08:00 AM
there must be someone locally that has a dryer you could have run it through....

Jack

KenWP
03-20-2011, 12:08 PM
I know it is not maple,but need to come up with a way to dry corn.I have combined corn that is 23% moisture and would like some ideas how to dry it without it being a big production.Any help would be great, Thanks

First what are you going to use it for.We use high moisture corn for the cows and it keeps with the spray we use on it.It then gets rolled into the robot every day. If you have a way to move it you can dry it some what just from the air passing thru it as it drops out of the auger into the truck or wagon.I ran a grain elevator in western canada years ago and had to move wet grain around till it dried enough to not heat up on me.