PDA

View Full Version : How to size fuel oil gun ?

jimsudz
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Getting low on sugarwood thinking of making a new door and putting a gun on it. Have no knowledge on how the gun works or what size to look for. My rig is 30x8 with airtight arch.Any suggestions or advice is appreciated Thanks Jim

mapleman3
03-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Well figure on a normal rig you will need about 3gallons oil per hour to make a gallon of syrup(no ro). My 2x6 used a 3gph nozzle now I have a 3x8 and it calls for a 6gph. So I would try a 5gph nozzle maybe a 60deg ss

Now I would also line the firebox with at least 2300 deg ceramic blanket and put a plate over the grates and also cover with the blanket. You then don't worry about heating up the brick much and use the heat efficiently. No other air should get in the firebox besides what the oil gun pushes in.

You will also need a barometric(flapper) damper in the stack just above the transition to round.

Mostly you need someone who knows oil to set this up with you....or your wasting your time and oil...too easy to soot up the rig, underfire or overfire
I was running about 5-600 stack temp on oil on my 2x6 vs almost 1500deg with wood. It was running very effi isn't and using the heat in the pans not up the stack as wood with good draft tends to do.....and I never had the boil temp.drop from doors opening every.8 min to fire wood.

I can't wait to back to oil!

jimsudz
03-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Jim, Thanks for info.I was given a gun that only is rated for 2 gal so I'm scrapping the idea for now. Was able to cut up some half dry hemlock slabs to keep going (lucky to run a sawmill). With the change in the weather I can cut up some more to finish off the excellent season. Still looking for a gun for the future. I will build a new door so If I run out in future I can convert. Iwas told by a friend that once you go fuel oil you won't go back We'll see,Thanks again Jim