PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Molds

vtandreawhite
03-14-2011, 08:20 PM
I just learned how to make hard maple candy and have been using rubber molds. Has anyone else had the problem of the candy then tasting like rubber? Is it because they are brand new? Or am I using the wrong ones?

Moser's Maple
03-18-2011, 10:26 PM
please explain hard candy candy....do you mean maple sugar cakes, or something along the lines of maple suckers..... for sugar cakes make sure you soak your molds in cold water before using them, and then completely dry them before adding your warm sugar cake mix....for maple suckers...there is a special plastic mold similar to a chocalate mold to handle the higher temperatures it takes to make maple suckers.

Jake

Mapleman(Greg)
03-21-2011, 08:08 AM
When you first use a rubber mold you need to boil it in baking soda and water.I boil mine for about 15 minutes.Your first batch may still taste a little runnery but after that they will be fine.

Aretha
03-24-2011, 05:20 PM
I have 3 different rubber molds also 2 of them are fine ,but my 1 large one has that same problem.Dealer didn't know any thing about it but stated do not use it.

briduhunt
03-24-2011, 06:16 PM
I just purchased a candt maker and I bought some new molds. I was talking to a sugar maker who has over 30 years making candy and he told me to boil the molds for one hour with a cup of baking soda. He swears buy it. I will be boiling my molds tonight.