PDA

View Full Version : Backyarders How Do I up my GPH

Maplesapper
03-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Hey folks;
My rig is 2X4, and then I draw-off and finish in two hotel pans, and finally a large stock pot with propane. I put out 100 taps this year vs 40 last year, so I need to get my gph way way up..but cannot utilize flue pans etc as this is a real hobby setup on a concrete block arch. I was thinking of adding a hair dryer or small room fan to add air.

adk1
03-14-2011, 07:32 PM
Hey folks;
My rig is 2X4, and then I draw-off and finish in two hotel pans, and finally a large stock pot with propane. I put out 100 taps this year vs 40 last year, so I need to get my gph way way up..but cannot utilize flue pans etc as this is a real hobby setup on a concrete block arch. I was thinking of adding a hair dryer or small room fan to add air.

yup, that is probably the easiest way to increase things, just need to make sure you dont blow ash all in your pans. Secondly, are you pre-heating your sap?

Maplesapper
03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
Good note on the ash. Do I need to add a damper to the stack to build heat within the arch or do I leave it open to vent faster as more air passes thru the arch.

Prewarming Idea:
I was planning on setting up a wire grate atop of the evaporator. Then I can place and fill more hotels pans above the steaming evaporator,get the sap warmed by the steam, and ladel into the front of the first partition. I have used C-clamps and am trying to temporarily hold two partitions in place.

adk1
03-14-2011, 07:55 PM
Good note on the ash. Do I need to add a damper to the stack to build heat within the arch or do I leave it open to vent faster as more air passes thru the arch.

Prewarming Idea:
I was planning on setting up a wire grate atop of the evaporator. Then I can place and fill more hotels pans above the steaming evaporator,get the sap warmed by the steam, and ladel into the front of the first partition. I have used C-clamps and am trying to temporarily hold two partitions in place.

nope, let it vent as much as possible, dont know of anyone that uses a damper.

insulating the arch is a good idea, dont know what you ahve for that. any firebrick?

Maplesapper
03-14-2011, 08:17 PM
I read somewhere that the bigger rigs were using a dampening system to built heat within the arch. Something about the stack temperature being to high, so by decreasing the amount of air that exits the system, th eheat within the arch increases. Perhaps the stack temp has more to do with efficency of wood being burned. I would to gain gph and chew thru the wood if necessary.
I use 6" concrete block, no insulation but the blocks never get too hot, so perhaps my heat loss isnt that great out the sides.

adk1
03-14-2011, 08:19 PM
yeah I think your right on that. With the new high insulated arches the stack probably would get too hot.

collinsmapleman2012
03-14-2011, 09:12 PM
a trick i use is to point the leaf blower in there on idle and it really makes things hot. i only do this for a couple mins tho just to gain heat

adk1
03-15-2011, 05:09 AM
a trick i use is to point the leaf blower in there on idle and it really makes things hot. i only do this for a couple mins tho just to gain heat

a leaf blower! wow! I was thinking along the lines of grabbing the wifes hair dryer! haha

collinsmapleman2012
03-15-2011, 09:54 PM
lol two things about that
a) your wife wont have a problem with it
b) it cant burn out like a haair dryer, and you wont run into problem a
:D

maple flats
03-16-2011, 04:28 AM
Does your block arch have a rear going into a stack or is it basically open? Usually you just need more fire (and likely more surface area). Make the arch longer and add a pan or 2.

Brent
03-16-2011, 08:10 AM
think about it

put a blower on it to get more air in
put a damper on it to stop the air flow

something doesn't compute here

Rossell's Sugar Camp
03-16-2011, 08:20 PM
just get a small fan. thats all you need. That and fire every 10 minutes with a small amount of wood. dont fire up for the night every time you fire. i get 40 gph on a block arch on a 3 by 5 pan. You can use coal if you get it cheap. Very cheap around here. You can also get a blower from a furnace or a draft inducer.

Maplesapper
03-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Thanks Rossell;
your pan is twice my size, but I am hoping your fan suggestions works. I am going to use a room oscillating fan.....on high !!!

fishman
03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
With the oscillating fan it gets hot then its not, then hot, then not, then hot, then not.:) I just did my first boil today on a homemade arch with a 2x4 flat pan and I tried my wifes OLD hairdryer for a couple minutes and it was just flat out roaring. Gotta add a fan to mine.

Big_Eddy
03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Easiest and most effective thing to increase evaporation with a block arch is to add some kind of door. A piece of sheet metal that blocks the top 2/3 of the arch front is all you need. Just keep the cold air from getting in between the fire and the pan bottoms. Leave a 1-2" gap at the bottom to let air in.

Step 2 is to use a simple grate to get the fire off the ground and let the air get under it.

Step 3 is to fill the back 2/3 of the arch with rubble or blocks until there is only 1-2" under the pans..

Adding a fan to a block arch may result in too much smoke and ash flying into the pans.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-21-2011, 07:47 PM
3rdGen trademark "AAOTP"