PDA

View Full Version : Season

jmp
03-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Any of you guys in the western/Central MA region seeing a slow down in your trees? I thought last week would be a good one but it sort of sucked wind. Also finding lots of moths in my buckets. Hope the season isn't over yet! Thoughts? -John :o

foursapssyrup
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
we've noticed a little lull in the season. at least thats what i am calling it. i think we have a few more good runs coming, but the majority is over.

Maplesedge
03-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Peaked Thur. & Fri. then slowed right down. Too warm at night I guess. Doesn't look good here for the next week with nights in the 40's but buds are still small so still a chance for more.

MapLewis
03-14-2011, 09:39 PM
so far so good IMHO....we tapped early and got a few of the Feb. runs but, last Wednesday through Friday was our craziest run ever..we collected over 200 gallons a day on 150 taps!...we boiled 6 of the last 7 days on our 2x4 just trying to keep up. We only boil 20gph, so things were getting a little scary for us. I'm welcoming the "lul" and I think with the cooler nights forecasted, it will start back up.
We have made approx. 20 gallons of medium and Light syrup so far. We also have made the decision to get a larger evaporator next year and are entertaining the thought of oil fired. (I echo Jim D's thoughts). Wood is pretty, but a pain in the arse!

I'm hoping we get a few more weeks, as i'm sure by then we will be out of wood and energy!

Fishgill
03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
Fri. & Sat. I had great runs (over 90 gal). Today I only collected 35 gallons. It's 28 outside now. Hopefully we'll get a couple of more good runs.

adk1
03-15-2011, 05:10 AM
Fri. & Sat. I had great runs (over 90 gal). Today I only collected 35 gallons. It's 28 outside now. Hopefully we'll get a couple of more good runs.

Nice..22 here right now, everyone around here is expecting great things today and the better part of this week!

Tithis
03-15-2011, 09:57 AM
The end of last week was the biggest run. Easily averaging more then a gallon a tree. I was scrambling to find storage for sap as my two 10 gallons coolers filled up and all of my jugs were full. I ended up having to try and boil some to make room. I'm finishing some of the syrup that I worked on boiling Friday and Monday. I still have a 10 gallon cooler plus about 5 gallons still on the trees that need to be boiled.

The rest of the week looks like crap for sap :( I'm hoping the temps will go back down before the buds open and I can get one more run.

Maplesedge
03-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Frost last night and twice the flow today as yesterday. Buds still small. Taps dripping pretty fast right now.

jmp
03-15-2011, 03:16 PM
I am anxious to get home and check buckets.