PDA

View Full Version : Syrup got flooded

PARKER MAPLE
03-14-2011, 04:57 PM
So im boiling away on my first real boil of the season. I made a little bit but the tank was getting low, so I decided to shut down. I took all the normal precautions so not to run the pans dry. Well come to find out this am when I returned to the sugarhouse the front pan was flooded with sap from the rear pan. totally deluted the front syrup in the last 3 particians. Im wondering whats the best way to got about getting the sap out of the syrup. Can I just syphone the raw sap out of the first partician or do I just boil it down so my next draw is huge. I mean huge to its like 2in deep. What to do

HELP
M.R.

Greg Morin
03-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I would mix it up and boil it

PerryW
03-14-2011, 05:35 PM
I might try to drain the most dilluted sap out of the front pan into buckets until there was 3 inches or so in the front pan.

When you fire it back up, I would close the valve between the back pan and the front pan. WHen it comes to a boil I would gradually dipper the sap from the buckets into the float side of the front pan, keeping the level a little deeper then you usually would run it.

When the sap in the bucket is gone DON'T FORGET TO OPEN THE VALVE!

PARKER MAPLE
03-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Thanks PerryW i think thats what im going to try to do.I gathered another 200 gal today so tomorrow will be the day. I was thinking I could draw most of it right out of the opposit draw off side then take the other out with the scoop. I was running it at about 1/2in deep in the syrup pan so there going to be quite a bit to take out. Thanks for the info

wcproctor
03-14-2011, 08:43 PM
Wow!!!!!! The same thing happened to me this weekend. Boiled on fri. and got back on sat. and the whole evaporator was flooded over. All I can say is that I broke a world record on using the f word. So I pumped out the flew pan and boiled down the front pan.

3rdgen.maple
03-15-2011, 03:01 AM
Always shut the valve off on the head tank when your done. And Maple Rookie you said 2 inches. That aint nothing to worry about at all. Alot of guys run their rigs 2 inches deep to begin with. Boil like normal just shut the valve off next time to avoid this happening again.

PerryW
03-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Always shut the valve off on the head tank when your done. And Maple Rookie you said 2 inches. That aint nothing to worry about at all. Alot of guys run their rigs 2 inches deep to begin with. Boil like normal just shut the valve off next time to avoid this happening again.

I agree w/ 3rdgen. I missed the part about 2 inches deep. I thought it was like full or something.

Russell Lampron
03-15-2011, 06:25 AM
I agree with 3rdgen. 2" is nothing to worry about. I would be more worried only running a 1/2" deep when normally boiling. I run mine at 1.25" and it can get hairy when I have a big draw off. Just watch for it making syrup in the middle of the pan when you start boiling and move some from the draw off to the other side to get it moving. Draw it off light and get the syrup in the middle to the draw off when it looks like it is syrup in the middle and you should be ok.

bigstack
03-15-2011, 07:01 AM
yeah I would say running 1/2 inch is cowboying it for sure.

MilesTeg
03-15-2011, 07:10 AM
We did the same thing this weekend we forgot to shut the valve off and remove the floats on sit down (there were too many people in the shack). We took the opportunity to filter the diluted front pan with prefilters and let me tell you there was a ton of sand in there a hell of alot more than there looked so I guess it was a blessing in disguise. It took alot of prefilters and time but it was a good thing.

PARKER MAPLE
03-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks guys I did as suggested. Turned out great. Made 10 gal this afternoon and this time I remembered to shut the valves off. This wont be happening again.............I hope.

Thank Maple Rookie