PDA

View Full Version : Drip defoamer

Wanabe1972
03-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I just made a rig to drip defoamer (evaporated milk) into the pans at a controlled rate. I can set it from a drip every 15 to 20 minutes to a full stream. where should I mount this to the pan and at what rate? I have heard in the transfer box from flue to syrup pan and have also heard in the syrup pan only. I have a 2x8 drop flue if this makes a differance. If i drip it in at the float box would this not help the whole evaporator?

Thanks Jeff

Squaredeal
03-14-2011, 02:16 PM
I have one set up at the float box where sap enters the flue pan. Works great and mostly prevents foaming throughout the evaporator.
On my 5 x 14 I use canola oil at a rate of about 1 drop per minute.

Wanabe1972
03-14-2011, 02:39 PM
Thanks that is what I was thinking so I will plumb it in today.

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2011, 06:05 PM
I just made a rig to drip defoamer (evaporated milk)

Unless you're consuming your total syrup crop, milk is no longer considered an acceptable defoamer due to the large number of people with dairy allergies and sensitivities. Packers won't take the stuff if you've used milk or butter or any of the other non-approved defoamers. Better to get some commercial maple defoamer.

802maple
03-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks Tim, I am glad you beat me to being the jerk. LOL
Unless you're consuming your total syrup crop, milk is no longer considered an acceptable defoamer due to the large number of people with dairy allergies and sensitivities. Packers won't take the stuff if you've used milk or butter or any of the other non-approved defoamers. Better to get some commercial maple defoamer.

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Thanks Tim, I am glad you beat me to being the jerk. LOL

Comes with the title I believe. ;)

Wanabe1972
03-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Nobody being a Jerk I am aware of this but my crop is usually comsumed by my family and friends and gifts and such. I am going to take a trip to a supplier and pick some up though.

Thanks Jeff

adk1
03-15-2011, 05:11 AM
Nobody being a Jerk I am aware of this but my crop is usually comsumed by my family and friends and gifts and such. I am going to take a trip to a supplier and pick some up though.

Thanks Jeff

I will tell you that the commercial defoamer works far superior than any dairy product. IT keeps the foam down considerably longer, and that means a better boil overall.

802maple
03-15-2011, 06:58 AM
I will tell you that the commercial defoamer works far superior than any dairy product. IT keeps the foam down considerably longer, and that means a better boil overall.

I know that nobody was being a jerk, just my sick humor, I guess. I was going to say the same thing as Dr. Tim, but he beat me to the punch.