PDA

View Full Version : shipping syrup!!! help please

MorrillMaple
03-13-2011, 08:51 PM
for all you guys that ship syrup can i please have some pointers on how you do it like do u use ups, fed-ex, usps, etc whats the cheapest because i have so many orders but im new to this part of it please help!! thanks

wiam
03-13-2011, 10:21 PM
USPS flat rate boxes

William

Snow Hill Farm
03-13-2011, 10:31 PM
The flat rate boxes are limited and only have a few sizes and they don't fit full gallons. I like the UPS Store outlets because when you go in they enter everything into the computer and if you have repeat customers they stay in the system so it's quick. Packages are insured for $100 (adding more is cheap). I got a VIP discount card for 10% off and another card that is $5 off on every 10th package just by asking. Flat rate boxes are good if you frequently send small containers across the country...

Kev
03-13-2011, 10:41 PM
There is one more advantage to flat rate. anyone can sign up with ups online and save money per shipment. and just click for pick up. you then have addresses and people saved in your address book. you print your own labels. you can just order more boxes online at no extra cost that show up at your door, bussiness or residental. repeat customers are a couple clicks from printing. batch proccessing if you need it that day, then print them all and make one payment online. it saves 40~ 70 cents per flat rate box you ship.
I have used it for coffee shippments for several years

PerryW
03-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Large Flat Rate Box will hold:

3) 1/2 gallons or
2) 1/2 gallons and one quart

Medium Flat Rate Boxes will hold:

2) 1/2 gallons or
1) 1/2 gallon and one quart or pint

WHen someone orders a gallon, I can ship two 1/2 gallons to them cheaper using a Med. flat rate box (even though I charge an additional $5 for two 1/2 gallons)

maple flats
03-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I have always used either USPS, shipped in official shipping cartons or sometimes I use a local friend who has UPS pick up daily, if a larger case is being shipped.

hilltop tapper
08-31-2015, 05:10 PM
The issue is that you end up paying as much for shipping as the syrup's worth. We're looking into setting up an online web store but if we have to charge as much for shipping as for the syrup, are people still going to buy?

maple flats
08-31-2015, 07:16 PM
About 1/3 of my annual sales are shipped. The customers always pay the shipping and handling. I can't remember anyone ever complaining about the syrup price or the shipping cost.
I also use the USPS flat rate boxes, can fit 1,2 or 3 qts. in a medium, or 2 half gal. I only ship 2 x 1/2 gal when they want a gal, but I ship FedEx if I have a 4 gal order, 4x1 in a box. I have a couple of 4 gal repeat customers who in the past always got 4x1 gal but I buy the box, I'm thinking I'll start shipping 4 of 2x1/2 gal in a USPS med. flat rate from now on, the shipping costs essentailly the same and USPS supplies the box @ no extra cost. Besides, as I get older, a 4 gal case is getting heavy.

DaveB
09-03-2015, 07:48 AM
FWIW, we ship gallon containers in the large flat rate boxes and have not had a problem. The top is a little rounded but with two gallons inside the top closes and that is acceptable to the post office. We have not had an issue with leaking. We have found that is the best rate for shipping syrup.

maple flats
09-03-2015, 11:05 AM
DaveB, which jugs do you use? I have both Sugarhill and Bacon. I measured a Bacon gal jug and it looks like the width is 6 1/4, I don't have any of the Sugarhill jugs at the house. I think they might be a little taller and thus possibly a little smaller diameter.

DaveB
09-03-2015, 01:49 PM
DaveB, which jugs do you use? I have both Sugarhill and Bacon. I measured a Bacon gal jug and it looks like the width is 6 1/4, I don't have any of the Sugarhill jugs at the house. I think they might be a little taller and thus possibly a little smaller diameter.

We use Sugarhill containers. Like I said, there is a slight bulge in the large flat rate box but after a year of shipping them we have not had a problem.

The other thing that we do is buy the postage online and print it out. I think there is a savings for doing that but not for the flat rates (I think). My wife does the labeling!

maple flats
09-03-2015, 03:50 PM
I've been printing my postage online for a few years. I'll try 2 gal in the lg box next time. It will save the customer postage. I have one customer who orders 4 gal at a time and sometimes 8 gal. When I ship them 4 gal to Kansas by FedEx the latest cost was almost $50.00 for the case of 4 gal. If I can send them 2 gal for a considerable savings, they will like it, and I can lift 2 gal far easier than 4 gal, in fact it feels like less than half! I only have 2 jugs of Gal left in Bacon jugs, after that all my jugs are Sugarhill. I will continue using those at least for shipping, and will use up my Bacon jugs on local sales.

wiam
09-03-2015, 07:14 PM
We use Sugarhill containers. Like I said, there is a slight bulge in the large flat rate box but after a year of shipping them we have not had a problem.

The other thing that we do is buy the postage online and print it out. I think there is a savings for doing that but not for the flat rates (I think). My wife does the labeling!

There is a discount for flat rate when done online.

maple flats
09-03-2015, 07:34 PM
Yes, I think it is about 10% off, if you have an account, do it online, print your own label and they can withdraw it directly from your account. A medium flat rate box up to 70# max is $12.65, but doing it online that drops to $11.30.

unc23win
09-04-2015, 07:05 AM
I have to say thanks to all of you for sharing what fits in what flat rate box. Myself I have not shipped much in the past and I got an order to go to Oregon now I know how to save the customer some $.

lpakiz
09-04-2015, 07:34 AM
IIRC, there are 2 versions of the medium flat rate box. I can fit 5 pints in the"flatter" one.

OK, so I just checked. There ARE two medium flat rate boxes, the "top-loading" and the "side-loading" version.
The side loading is the one that holds 5 glass pints, with room for a little bubble wrap sheet around each. I extra-pad the places where the bottoms and the tops could hit. Especially with plastic caps, the top could be wrecked easily.
So far,no breakage problems to Florida from Wisconsin.

sugarmaker94
09-04-2015, 04:43 PM
Your lucky lpakiz, I sent 3 dozen pints in flat rate boxes. I packed them very well with bubble wrap. They were packed tight too and two boxes appeared at their destination, most of the bottles were broke. The other box never appeared

maple flats
09-05-2015, 05:02 PM
I Measured a Sugarhill Gal. jug when I was at the sugarhouse today. That looks to be about 6.25" and the Bacon jug looks more like 6.5". I think that quarter inch must make some difference. I may even wrap a thin measuring tape around the jugs and do the math, but the Sugarhill certainly in smaller diameter that the Bacon jug. At any rate, I'll try the large flat rate box with 2 gal. and see how it goes.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-06-2015, 08:01 AM
Les Cruchon may be smaller than both. Haven't measured gallons but quarts are.