PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer cup

They Call Me Pete
03-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Went to local store to pick up one and they are sold out. I'm thinking I could make one out of 2 inch pvc with a flat bottom. Almost at the end of the season and have 20+ gallons waiting to boil plus still flowing pretty good. My last batch didn't seem right so I bought the hydrometer but no cup :mad:

Big_Eddy
03-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Stainless Steel Coffee Thermos

03-13-2011, 07:44 PM
you shold use metal so that it wont melt like the pvc might

lew
03-13-2011, 08:04 PM
I took an old piece of 1 1/4 copper pipe, cut one piece to length for the cup. Then cut one piece of about a 1/4 inch long and soldered it on to serve as the loop handle. Then cut off another piece about 2" long, then cut this piece lengthwise and flattened it out, cut it with some tin snips so that it was a nice 2" circle and soldered it on for the bottom. All from some some stuff my wife calls JUNK.

morningstarfarm
03-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I've been using a pvc cup for years...would highly reccomend it...it holds the temp much better than a metal cup...and it cost me like .30 to make:rolleyes:

len
03-13-2011, 08:40 PM
I took an old piece of 1 1/4 copper pipe, cut one piece to length for the cup. Then cut one piece of about a 1/4 inch long and soldered it on to serve as the loop handle. Then cut off another piece about 2" long, then cut this piece lengthwise and flattened it out, cut it with some tin snips so that it was a nice 2" circle and soldered it on for the bottom. All from some some stuff my wife calls JUNK.

Nice explanation!

I bought the syrup hydrometer, but held off on the cup. Helps to save a couple of bucks, and use some of the "scrap".

Popular mechanics style idea for sure :cool:

Ausable
03-13-2011, 09:26 PM
For my Hydrometer Cup - I bought a stainless "briefcase thermos" from Wally World for 7 bucks - mounted a handle on it with hose clamps and it works great ------ whatever works --- Mike

cpmaple
03-13-2011, 09:31 PM
For my hydrometer cup i used a 1" x10" ss 317 piecse of pipe capped the end and tig welded a handle on it works great and nothing into it but my time to cut parts and weld. Love it before that pvc for test cup

Kev
03-13-2011, 09:47 PM
do you people with PVC sample cups toss your sample or keep it?
I know of water lines that are pvc and have been for 10 years and I still taste plastic when I have to get a drink from it and that is with cold water. So I was just wondering.

Timber Juice
03-14-2011, 02:49 AM
I agree with you Kev, plastic gives a bad taste.

PVC is for cold water,
CPVC is for hot water.

I don't think either should go into hot syrup.
Too much chemical off-gassing when hot.
And I don't think the outsides are sealed as well as the insides.

I think scrounging for larger copper or SS tubing is the way to go.