PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 BUCKET SPOUTS

MASSEY JACK
12-29-2005, 05:13 PM
Anyone have any experience with 5/16 inch bucket spouts??? The guy at Grimm said he had good feedback from customers about them. Claims that they make as much sap as the 7/16 ones do. I would like to hear from someone else (not a salesman). I bought some anyway to try. They will be easier for me as I can use the same drill as for the tubing 5/16 spouts and these have no hooks to mess with. Just put the bucket over the spout. I prefer tubing but have many trees on other peoples' land and they like the buckets. They also help me collect the sap.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-29-2005, 05:42 PM
Jack,

I used them last year and I was very happy with them. As far as production, I am not certain there, but no complaints.

mountainvan
12-29-2005, 08:23 PM
used the cast 5/16 spile for two years. I like them, but: had to file down the top so they would work with aluminum buckets and at least a couple break when I take them out at the end of the year. I like using the 5/16 plastic spile with a hanger and about 1-2 inches of semi-rigid tubing to hang buckets on also. they do hold up a full grimm bucket and cost less than the metal. as for sap flow I've found the smaller taps flow just as well as the larger. a lot easier to drill and easier to ream if needed to get a longer season.

brookledge
12-29-2005, 08:57 PM
One other thing I've heard about them is that they tend to run longer because they keep the air out of the tap hole. Especially when using a plastic health spout with a bucket.
Keith

Russell Lampron
12-30-2005, 05:39 AM
I too have used the 5/16 spouts on my smaller trees. The trees that I used them on actually ran better than the ones I used 7/16 spouts on. I'm planning to use them on all of my trees to see if it was the spout size or the trees that made the differance. They did seem to run longer as well.

Russ

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-30-2005, 05:27 PM
I bought 75 of the stainless 5/16" spouts this spring. I hope to add around that many taps next year. I would like to buy a few each year and eventually get all my taps changed over to the stainless!

This year, I am going to try to use some with buckets and put hooks on the spouts! :D

Sugarmaker
12-30-2005, 07:31 PM
Brandon,
Why do you need hooks on the spiles? I thought you could hang the bucket right on the spile?
Any one know the price on these stainless bucket spouts in 5/16? I assume around a buck apiece?
I look at my old rusty/ crusty spiles and the stainless ones sound like the way to go.
I did buy a used Tanaka tapper last year and it worked great for the 7/16 spiles. I guess it would work for 5/16 dia also, but seems like the 18 volt cordless would work well also.

Rob Harvey
12-30-2005, 07:40 PM
We have used the 5/16 cast aluminum spouts for two years. they seem to work just fine. Once in a while one will fall out of the tree during the course of the season. Some older buckets have to be drilled out to get them over the hump on the spout.We drill them out with a hole saw and use a file to take off the burrs.

mountainvan
12-30-2005, 07:58 PM
chris be careful using the tanaka drill with 5/16 bits. I've had bits break in the tree because the torque of the gas drill, brad and auger. I have 2- 18, 1-19.2, and one 24 volt cordless. they're much easier on my shoulders.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Chris,

I am referring to the stainless tubing spouts, not bucket spouts! :D

Sugarmaker
01-16-2006, 06:13 PM
You guys are starting to convince me that the 5/16 bucket spile may be the way to go! I will be considering this for 2007 season. Cost is always a factor for the short term but it sounds like they may reduce tree damage and run just as well to. Any one know what the hole size is on the inside of these?

mountainvan
01-17-2006, 07:24 AM
hole diameter of ipl/lapeirre is 3/16". leader is a little smaller diameter. leader t's, the cup t is fine, for 5/16" splies do not work with other makes of spiles. guess it helps keep brand loyalty.