PDA

View Full Version : to pull or not to pull?

40to1
03-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Your thoughts, please....
The days have been too warm and its been above freezing at night. The sap is starting to cloud up a bit. My thought is to pull out the taps tomorrow and call it a year.
However, the extended forecast shows that the temps will drop again and I could get another week or so.
If the temps drop will the sap clear up, or is it all downhill?

ebourassa
03-13-2011, 11:11 AM
i would hold on, boiling cloudy sap still will produce a grade b syrup, which is one of my favorites, I would clean the tanks or buckets an wait.

Fishgill
03-13-2011, 07:47 PM
I wouldn't pull them yet. But I'm an optimist. There will be more good runs. Make all you can while you can :).

james ferguson
03-13-2011, 08:17 PM
dont pull taps yet you are scaring us you should have at least one to two weeks left if not longer should freeze tonight and tommorow night your sap should cear up if not comm is paying 2.25 per lb x 11lb per gallon better than dumping helps pay for supplys

BryanEx
03-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Worst case scenario is that you might have to turn out the sap you collect if it's spoiled. Like the others, I say ride it as far as you can unless you are out of fuel or supplies.

- Bryan

PerryW
03-13-2011, 11:05 PM
You can get cloudy sap any time during the season (warm spell). It does not necessarily mean the end of the season.

michiganfarmer2
03-14-2011, 06:56 AM
I dont pull my spiles till the after the trees bud, and the syrup starts tasting buddy.

Cloudy sap doenst neccessarily mean bad syrup. You might collect all the sap, and get it boiling to kill the bacteria. then wash all the buckets, or at least drain them and turn them upside down.

I dont know if you are sayign the sap is cloudy because its been in the buckets too long, or if it is comming out of the tree like that.

Like I said. I dont quit till the trees bud. Whatever I have to do to remedy sap problems, I do it. ...'course im pretty obsessive about syrup.

DrTimPerkins
03-14-2011, 07:40 AM
If the temps drop will the sap clear up, or is it all downhill?

Frequently, cold weather will cause the sap to clear up considerably and you're back in business.