PDA

View Full Version : Buckets and wind.

SDdave
03-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Had a "little" problem with my buckets and the 40 mph sustained, and 50+ gusts. Never had a problem before with wind. I always tie a string around the tree to provide some extra protection. Well, I've been chasing buckets around the last 2 days. So, yesterday I thought that a little bit of weight would keep them in place. After many thoughts about bricks, washers, and what nots, I came up with the idea of a bottle of water. Took the label off and presto, a weight with not much investment.

Anybody else, have problem with the wind?

elm creek guy
03-13-2011, 10:12 AM
Had the same problem friday afternoon all I had with me was 2 rolls of electrical tape. It did the trick

Kev
03-13-2011, 10:33 AM
every year but then I live on the prarrie. we have tied twine, rope, wire pretty much anything we can around the trees and buckets. some trees and bucket combinations tie better than others.
Some days I have shorted my self on collecting sap. just to leave weight in some of the buckets.

Ahnohta2
03-13-2011, 11:39 AM
agree w/ Kev short some of the sap. alos when cutting holes in bucket, cut a little smaller hole and then groove top of hole w/ rat tail file. this smaller groove holds taps/buckets a little bit better. wish we had done this sooner.

Kev
03-13-2011, 02:16 PM
agree w/ Kev short some of the sap. alos when cutting holes in bucket, cut a little smaller hole and then groove top of hole w/ rat tail file. this smaller groove holds taps/buckets a little bit better. wish we had done this sooner.

Ah man why didn't I think of that ! Thanks for sharing it, I will be filling on a bunch of buckets after the season. I am going to do it to the "factory" buckets we have.
as I think about it, I think I will take the easy route and break out the die grinder and tappered burr:D