PDA

View Full Version : Odor removal

jimsudz
03-12-2011, 07:38 PM
I have two 5 gallon plastic syrup containers that were left uncleaned from last season they have a fermented odor. Can these be cleaned ? The odor is still present but not as bad, are there any tips on how to remove odor. Thanks

maplematt
03-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Baking soda or vinegar...never tried either, but they work in other applications. Anyone tried these?

johnallin
03-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Jim, for the cost of two new containers; you may be safer to just discard the spoiled one.

Why take the risk of losing 10 gal of good syrup?

Just a thought.

cvmaple
03-18-2011, 06:35 PM
I agree with John Allin. Too much work in 10 gallons of syrup to take a chance.

Haynes Forest Products
03-18-2011, 11:37 PM
FDS.....Walgreens sells it in the Hygene dept.............................Ask your wife:emb:

happy thoughts
03-19-2011, 11:07 AM
I found this in my travels a few days ago researching food grade buckets.

from http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

Removing Odors And Stains From HDPE Buckets
* Wash the bucket inside and out with warm, soapy water, then rinse.
* Place the bucket outside in a sunny location.
* Pour 1 cup of baking soda into the bucket and fill with warm water all the way to the top. Stir to dissolve, then put on the lid, or cover with aluminum foil.
* Let the bucket sit in the sun for several days, then empty and rinse out.
* Pour 1 cup of bleach into the bucket and fill with warm water all the way to the top. Stir to mix, then put on the lid, or cover with aluminum foil.
* Let the bucket sit in the sun for several days, then empty.
* Wash again inside and out with warm water and dishwashing liquid, then let dry with the lid off.

Mac_Muz
03-31-2011, 08:19 AM
I have no idea if this will work, but it did in a moldy smelling wooden water keg. I filled the keg with warm water and added in 4 tabs of false teeth efferdent. I let it soak for 2 days, flushed the keg well and did it again.

Still I would just use these containers you have for something else, and get new. I sure woud hate to loose any 10 gallons. I never even make that much.

barry_reifman
04-25-2012, 10:06 AM
There's this amazing product that is effective in odor removal process called Odorzout. Check out their site www.odorzout.com

barry_reifman
04-25-2012, 11:03 AM
yup it's working but there are other products which are more effective such as Odorzout. Check their site at www.odorzout.com

lew
04-25-2012, 08:13 PM
I would advise heavily AGAINST using bleach. Tried that years ago with a galvanized barrel. Ended up running the permeate off of the RO through the barrel for thousands of gallons and it still had an odor. Many months of airing out finally cured it. But Plastics are porous and would take significantly longer to lose the bleach smell IMHO.

maple flats
04-26-2012, 04:49 AM
Too much effort and risk. Discard them and buy new. Use the lesson to remind you to always clean emptied containers before long term storage. It is always best to air dry before capping too. In fact I don't cap them tightly, I stack them with the lose cap down. Then just rinse well before next use.