PDA

View Full Version : retapping

snohiker
03-12-2011, 07:19 PM
hey i was woundering this being my second year do you retap the old holes or drill new ones and im getting good flow for one tree and nothing from the one next to it how deep should i drill im using the old cast taps should i redrill the ones not flowing

SilverLeaf
03-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Make completely new holes... and make sure to leave at least a few inches betwen any new tap and any previously tapped spot. When the tree closes up the taphole it creates "scar tissue" (for lack of a better name) around the hole and that tissue does not transport sap well. Thus, if you tap into it, you'll have a pretty dry hole. Good luck!

Haynes Forest Products
03-12-2011, 09:48 PM
I wouldn't start wacking new holes in the tree because they slowed down. Did you tap too early??? How is the weathere???

3rdgen.maple
03-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Reaming will only get you a couple days more and drilling new holes is NOT recomended as it will cause more stress to the trees. Unless they are cull trees then fill them with holes but if you plan on getting production out of the trees for years to come do not do it. Next year it will just make you all the wiser on when to tap and when it is to early.