PDA

View Full Version : final temp

chefchap
03-12-2011, 08:32 AM
when making my syrup i have always used a digital thermometer for judging when it is finally done i usually go to 218 degrees but sometimes it seems inconsistant since they are not always acurate what are some other ideas does anyone used refracts
ty

Dave Puhl
03-12-2011, 08:53 AM
I use a digital temp and a refracto... they were 100 bucks...as I draw off... its just a small trickle then I use a table spoon to get my sample it has to cool down to 70-80 to get a good read...I finish my syrup right on the evap.

fenwick865
03-12-2011, 08:58 AM
i use a hydrometer to asure it's actually syrup

Brent
03-12-2011, 12:28 PM
I have used about 5 different digital thermometers, some with barometric compensation, and non are accurate enough to tell when you are bang on the right density.

There is no choice but to use a hydrometer or refractometer. You may think you're in good shape without one, but in 3 months you'll find some bottles have crystals growing on the bottom ... you went too dense, and you'll find others are too runny.

happy thoughts
03-12-2011, 01:02 PM
If all you have to work with is a thermometer test it first in boiling water then add ~7 degrees for syrup. I did this today bottling up my first batch of syrup- just a little over a gallon.

Both my digital and standard candy thermometers were way off and the digital batteries died with no replacements handy. I ended up using the standard thermometer and converting to Centigrade because the lines were easier to read than F. Can't say which hurts most, these old eyes or all that math :lol: Thank God for the comfort of maple syrup!

buck3m
03-12-2011, 01:19 PM
You will see many tales of woe from people who added 7 deg to the boiling point and their density is off. Sometimes it makes no sense. Digital thermometers are even less dependable. With all the work involved and with how precious maple syrup is, it pays to do it right and get a hydrometer.

PerryW
03-12-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm too cheap to buy a sap hydrometer but i wouldn't live without a syrup hydrometer.

Fishgill
03-12-2011, 05:45 PM
This is my first year using a hydrometer. I'm finally making real syrup. I'm only useing the thermometer to get an idea of when to check it.

Flat47
03-12-2011, 06:16 PM
I'm too cheap to buy a sap hydrometer but i wouldn't live without a syrup hydrometer.

Amen.
Couldn't have said it better.

chefchap
03-13-2011, 03:05 PM
thankyou for input
now where is a good place to buy a hydrometer
ty

whalems
03-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Any maple syrup supplier will have hydrometer and cup. A must have to make syrup.:) Good luck, Mike

Backyard Sapman
03-13-2011, 10:45 PM
This is my first year using a hydrometer. I'm finally making real syrup. I'm only useing the thermometer to get an idea of when to check it.

This is also my first year with a hydrometer and I want to use a thermometer for the same reason. So my question is -- I found a digital thermometer with a probe that's attached to a long wire and the wire is coated like any other electrical wire is, will the coating melt or give my syrup an off taste in my evaporating pan? Can i just lay the probe in the pan? In order to lay the probe in the pan some of the wire will have to be in the syrup. Will it be accurate touching the bottom of the pan? Do I have to find a way to suspend it? If so, any ideas on how to do that?

3fires
03-13-2011, 11:58 PM
You have to suspend it, or it will read way high. Also my digital says not to get the wire in water, probe only.

But, I just bought a syrup hydro for 12 bucks, was a pretty good investment and is easy to use, real quick check.

Before I was letting it go to 7.5 above boiling point of water, but it seemed a bit thin. This last time I let it go to 9.5 above and it still wasn't quite syrup.

When I measured my last batch with the hydro, the temp was about 9 above boiling point of water. So, it varies alot when using temperature to check.

I'm with the majority, get a hydro and do it right. It's nice knowing you have syrup. I can't believe I just said that.