PDA

View Full Version : Tapped (and boiled) in Hopkinton

SeanD
03-12-2011, 07:20 AM
The ankle is still broken, but thanks to amazing friends like the guys down at Four(Five)Saps and a great neighbor, the season in Hopkinton is saved! They all came up and did all my tapping and raised my stack last Sunday and my neighbor has been very busy hauling 130+ gallons by hand through the snow. We sweetened the pans last night and hope to get a draw tonight.

One of the nicest things about this hobby is that it attracts really good people.

Sean

Fishgill
03-12-2011, 05:39 PM
Nice to hear your up and running. It sounds like you've got some great friends and neighbor.

foursapssyrup
03-12-2011, 05:58 PM
glad to hear your first boil went well!! should be puling syrup off that thing in no time! if there is anything else i can do for you, let me know. more than happy to help!!

phil

SeanD
03-28-2011, 04:45 PM
Somebody should tell my trees that the season is just about over. I just collected 61 gallons from 32 taps!

Sean

GramaCindy
03-28-2011, 06:00 PM
OMG, How COOL is that?!!! You are great people four saps!

40to1
03-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Sean,
If you listen real hard you might hear the sound of me kicking myself.
I pulled taps last week, but still the tap holes are running! There are sapiscles on the trees every morning and the big sap trail running down the tree every afternoon.
Makes me wonder if the perfect weather conditions causing such a flow that the trees cannot close-up the wound.

Keep those taps in!

SeanD
03-30-2011, 11:29 AM
The only reason I'll be wrapping up soon is because I'm on my last supply of wood. I think I'll be able to get to Sunday. The forecast does not look any different for next week, so my sap next week is open to anyone in the area. I can collect and store for you, but I can't deliver.

I'd also be open to offers for firewood if your season is over, but you still have wood.

Either way, I'd be open to trade or pay - whatever you are comfortable with.

Thanks,
Sean

foursapsyrup1
03-30-2011, 02:21 PM
How much wood do you need. I believe I can give you enough to finish up.

SeanD
03-31-2011, 08:14 AM
You're too much. Sure you don't want the sap?:lol:

I did a 10+ hour boil last night and I'm amazed how the wood held up. I still have enough for another long boil, but I may not need it. Yesterday's haul was down a good bit and it didn't get below 36 last night. Maybe my timing is right. Let me see how the rest of this week goes. I'll be in touch.

Sean

40to1
03-31-2011, 10:22 PM
Ha!
Did you see the extended forecast?
Other than several 32˚+ nights, it's perfect sugaring weather until the 14th! You'll need the firewood.

Sean, your ankle may be healed before this season ends.

SeanD
04-01-2011, 08:28 AM
I know, just in time for cleaning buckets. Grrrrrr...

Sean

Randle
04-01-2011, 04:59 PM
If you still have sap you'd like to unload please let me know. We're planning a big boil tomorrow and have time/capacity to add more sap.

Steve

SeanD
04-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Hey Steve,

I just emailed you back, but in case you don't catch it - I think I'm done. Just like that, the trees only gave me about two gallons of some yellowish sap today. If it gets cold and starts up the trees again, I'll let you know.

Good luck with the boil.

Sean

SeanD
04-04-2011, 06:09 PM
Things are all done here. The predicted frost never came and temps only got down to 36 Sunday morning. Pulled the taps and wrapped up a super productive 4-week season that almost never happened. The wood ended up outlasting the trees after all, so I've got some already under a roof for next year.

It probably would have killed me to read the reports of this season while my stuff sat idle. I'm finally off crutches. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Thank you again, to the Saps in Bellingham and all the support people sent along!

Sean