PDA

View Full Version : Canning jars for syrup packaging

ComputerSteve
03-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Last year we used canning jars for packing our small amount of maple syrup, about 3 gallons. I made some humorous labels, put them on the jars and gave them to family members as presents this last Christmas. My problem was that the store in my area only had jars with raised lettering/decorations on the sides. This inteferred with the label adherring to the jar. Where would be a good place to purchase inexpensive cannings that are plain with no lettering or decorations on the sides?

Dennis H.
03-12-2011, 03:21 AM
Look into places that sell Beekeeping supplies. I have seen in catalogs for beekeeping that they had nice smooth mason jars, they also had lids that were just that lids, not rings and lids.

Flat47
03-12-2011, 05:17 AM
There are lots of different cannng jars available from the Ball company (who makes most Mason-type jars). Ask your local store if they'd be willing to get you some. Our local hardware was completely willing to get us the half gallon size and now they stock a range of canning products.

Ausable
03-12-2011, 06:40 AM
Hey Computer Steve - On the jars You mention - We used ours - but instead of putting the labels on the jars - cause you can't. -- We cut them to fit the lids and it worked out ok. I still prefer putting them on the sides though --- Naturally You wait till they seal first -- -- Mike

whalems
03-12-2011, 06:40 AM
I found that it was cheaper to buy glass maple syrup bottles then it was for a mason jar.

TapME
03-12-2011, 06:51 AM
now remember that canning jars are the true measure. A qt being 32 onces and a pint being 16. If you go to the plastic maple jugs the pints are 18 onces filled and the qts are 36. Just some info fro you all.
Whalens, we buy ourmason jars for little over 6 dollars a dozen and maple jars here are 12 forthe cheepest.

jmp
03-12-2011, 06:55 AM
I did a quick search in Google and found this: http://www.goodmans.net/i/486/ball-62500-jar-art-smooth-sided-mason-jar.htm

3rdgen.maple
03-12-2011, 07:25 AM
now remember that canning jars are the true measure. A qt being 32 onces and a pint being 16. If you go to the plastic maple jugs the pints are 18 onces filled and the qts are 36. Just some info fro you all.
Whalens, we buy ourmason jars for little over 6 dollars a dozen and maple jars here are 12 forthe cheepest.

Thats why you only fill them to the neck or give away free syrup. Never figured out why they make them a few ounces bigger. I asked the rep for sugarhill once what the story was and he said to fill them to the bottom of the neck and couldnt answer why they are a tad big.

SeanD
03-12-2011, 09:06 AM
It probably makes them easier to pour from. Otherwise, the first few ounces could dribble down the side when you tip it.

As for the fill line, do you fill to the bottom of the neck when hot and it drops from there? Or do you aim above so it settles at the neck after it cools? I guess it's not as big a deal with plastic, but in glass it's visible. I suppose I should pour 12 oz. of water in them and see where that puts it.

Sean

ComputerSteve
03-12-2011, 02:03 PM
The beekeeping supplies have smooth sided pint canning jars. I never thought to check there before. I also like the idea of making labels that can fit the jar tops. The beekeeping mason jars seem less expensive than the maple leaf or plastic jugs. Since this is a hobby, less expensive makes the cost easier to swallow.

cyblood
03-16-2011, 09:54 PM
I got some product from these guys recently here in PA:

http://www.gambercontainer.com/glass.asp

They also have a distributor in Saint Charles MI -T.M. Klein & Sons 989-865-9377

Maple Hobo
03-17-2011, 04:36 AM
If your selling the syrup you might need to check with the FDA. I don't think they allow Mason jars to be used for selling syrup in.

buck3m
03-17-2011, 05:43 AM
If your selling the syrup you might need to check with the FDA. I don't think they allow Mason jars to be used for selling syrup in.

I believe what you're thinking of is reused Mayonnaise jars and the like. I would think they would allow new canning jars like Kerr or Ball. I see honey and maple syrup sold commercially in them, anyway.