PDA

View Full Version : All for $2,500

adk1
03-11-2011, 09:30 PM
That is my budget, and I think that I can pull it off for next year. that includes tubing for 100 taps, a new WF Mason 2x4, tank, filters, hyrdometers, pail, etc etc etc..Am I crazy!

Bucket Head
03-11-2011, 09:54 PM
Everyone on here is crazy! Now that we've cleared that up, how much is a new WF Mason 2x4? I have no idea how much one cost's. All the other stuff can be had reasonably, maybe even used. I'm thinking a new, welded stainless evaporator, even the small hobby models, would use up most if not all of the $2500.

Does it have to be new? There are a lot of nice used rigs out there. Watch the classifieds at the end of the season. Just food for thought.

Steve

BobU
03-11-2011, 10:05 PM
The costs of everything can really add up quick, but any hobby has costs involved. This hobby has the added bonus of having something to show for the time and work put into it at the end of the season.
I make it a point to use my reciepts from the syrup making items I buy as kindling to start the fire in the evaporator. That way the wife won't find them, and I soon forget the cost, what with all the fun I'm having. :lol:

Keep your eyes peeled for good deals on "stuff", most used items work as well as new, at a much lower cost. Many times they are being sold just because the previous owner is up-sizing. That new stuff is only new till you use it the first time.

Good luck on your future "syrupin" ! Might be a tough budget to stick to, but good luck.

stoweski
03-12-2011, 05:51 AM
$1200 for a 2x4 Mason evaporator. So you have some $$ to spend on tubing, wire, spouts, collection tanks, fittings, possibly some new tools for tubing, hydrometer, filters, bottles, and other maple related items that I cannot think about because I was up late last night boiling and am still waking up.

Crazy? Nah, not crazy. Only thing making you crazy is that you haven't even tapped a tree yet!!! :D

Get some plastic buckets, tubing, and spouts and throw in some taps. Buy a $50 turkey fryer and propane tank and make yourself some syrup while you save up for next year! I have some extra used plastic spouts if you want to come down and pick them up. That and a trip to Home Depot would get you started! Oh yea, HD is on the way home from my house to yours too!
Heck, I'll even lend you my turkey fryer to boil on if you want. Get going man!!!

Gotta go out and boil!

adk1
03-12-2011, 07:45 AM
Everyone on here is crazy! Now that we've cleared that up, how much is a new WF Mason 2x4? I have no idea how much one cost's. All the other stuff can be had reasonably, maybe even used. I'm thinking a new, welded stainless evaporator, even the small hobby models, would use up most if not all of the $2500.

Does it have to be new? There are a lot of nice used rigs out there. Watch the classifieds at the end of the season. Just food for thought.

Steve

$1500 I believe

adk1
03-12-2011, 07:46 AM
$1200 for a 2x4 Mason evaporator. So you have some $$ to spend on tubing, wire, spouts, collection tanks, fittings, possibly some new tools for tubing, hydrometer, filters, bottles, and other maple related items that I cannot think about because I was up late last night boiling and am still waking up.

Crazy? Nah, not crazy. Only thing making you crazy is that you haven't even tapped a tree yet!!! :D

Get some plastic buckets, tubing, and spouts and throw in some taps. Buy a $50 turkey fryer and propane tank and make yourself some syrup while you save up for next year! I have some extra used plastic spouts if you want to come down and pick them up. That and a trip to Home Depot would get you started! Oh yea, HD is on the way home from my house to yours too!
Heck, I'll even lend you my turkey fryer to boil on if you want. Get going man!!!

Gotta go out and boil!

I know I know I know...

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-12-2011, 07:52 AM
some where on another post it was stated a person will spend around 7denaros a tap, stainless draw of bucket 100, pick a book up from leader / bascoms, Lapierre?. You should get a good idea

Just this season I spent around 500 getting ready and haven't bought any jugs to can in yet.

Ausable
03-12-2011, 08:40 AM
That is my budget, and I think that I can pull it off for next year. that includes tubing for 100 taps, a new WF Mason 2x4, tank, filters, hyrdometers, pail, etc etc etc..Am I crazy!

-----LOL---- I have a Great grandson - who is eleven. I'll bet he will have built his own sugar shack before You get out of the Planning Stage.. I do wish You the very best --- But all this planning and no action is starting to drive me SANE --- I'm too old to face sanity and all the problems involved with it again --- Please - please tap a tree ------ Mike

stoweski
03-12-2011, 09:25 AM
I know I know I know...

All in good fun! :)

But feel free to take me up on my offer. I'm not that far away.

Bucket Head
03-12-2011, 10:56 PM
If a 2x4 is $1500, the $2500 budget should allow for all the stuff on the list. I figured it would be much more than that. A lot of stuff comes up for sale right after the season ends. You might be able to find what your looking for very soon. Good luck.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
03-12-2011, 11:08 PM
Only on the Maple trader can you be a Maple Addict, have 526 post and not a single tap in a tree. This is it I say there is a tapping party at ADK1's place tomarrow night. At this point I dont care if he boils in a 55 gallon used nuclear waste barrell, stores his sap in used plastic garbage cans he found on the side of the road, filters in used but clean cloth diapers and bottles in used 40 oz bottles he stole from a bag lady when she was picking up a half smoked cigarette of the ground. :D Its time to get off the toilet and get to drilling some holes.

Treetapper
03-12-2011, 11:29 PM
Giddy up!!!!!!!!!!

S Culver
03-13-2011, 06:10 AM
Hey I'm in it for under a $1,000.00. Had a friend weld up a 2x6 2 pan set up made a block arch on a concrete pad out back. cut some timber and made a lean to and I was boiling. 300 treesaver taps 3 rolls ot tubing some fittings and free bakery buckets. The bakery now wants to buy all my grade C. I now have friends and neighbohrs calling in their orders and I don't even have it labled yet. Good luck and have fun

stoweski
03-13-2011, 06:13 AM
Only on the Maple trader can you be a Maple Addict, have 526 post and not a single tap in a tree. This is it I say there is a tapping party at ADK1's place tomarrow night. At this point I dont care if he boils in a 55 gallon used nuclear waste barrell, stores his sap in used plastic garbage cans he found on the side of the road, filters in used but clean cloth diapers and bottles in used 40 oz bottles he stole from a bag lady when she was picking up a half smoked cigarette of the ground. :D Its time to get off the toilet and get to drilling some holes.

This isn't facebook... but I "LIKE" this post!
Where's the 'thumbs up' emoticon?

Farmboy
03-13-2011, 07:59 AM
-----LOL---- I have a Great grandson - who is eleven. I'll bet he will have built his own sugar shack before You get out of the Planning Stage.. I do wish You the very best --- But all this planning and no action is starting to drive me SANE --- I'm too old to face sanity and all the problems involved with it again --- Please - please tap a tree ------ Mike

You never no he could have his own sugar shack next year before ADK. I built my sugar shack when I was 12. I did all the dirt work and prep for it myself and had my grandpa help me build it. ADK get going.

adk1
03-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks for all of the...whatever the comments are! haha. They are humerous to say the least! It must bug the heck out of you all, but I am content on how I am proceeding at the moment. I like the anticipation of it all! :lol:

Anyways, I am still involved in sugarin. Heading to my brother in laws operation shortly. they have been boiling since Friday. Ihelp out, walk their lines, do fix's, watch the evap alittle, learn alot and have fun doing it. they run around 300 taps on gravity. So its not like I am not involved with it, jst not my own. that will change dont worry now fellas! I already know that I will be pulling the trigger on all of my supplies minus the evap. I will have to order that this summer. I will install it this winter or very early spring depending on delivery. I will run all of my lines in the fall and setup my tank etc. I will have everything prepared and in place months before the 2012 sugarin season. (someone save this post and remind me of this come August please)!

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-13-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all of the...whatever the comments are! haha. They are humerous to say the least! It must bug the heck out of you all, but I am content on how I am proceeding at the moment. I like the anticipation of it all! :lol:

Anyways, I am still involved in sugarin. Heading to my brother in laws operation shortly. they have been boiling since Friday. Ihelp out, walk their lines, do fix's, watch the evap alittle, learn alot and have fun doing it. they run around 300 taps on gravity. So its not like I am not involved with it, jst not my own. that will change dont worry now fellas! I already know that I will be pulling the trigger on all of my supplies minus the evap. I will have to order that this summer. I will install it this winter or very early spring depending on delivery. I will run all of my lines in the fall and setup my tank etc. I will have everything prepared and in place months before the 2012 sugarin season. (someone save this post and remind me of this come August please)!

SAVED!! It will come up from time to time

adk1
03-13-2011, 12:56 PM
SAVED!! It will come up from time to time

thanks! Please keep me honest!!!!!!!!!!

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-13-2011, 08:11 PM
thanks! Please keep me honest!!!!!!!!!!

PM yours and wifes email I'll set up an auto send program:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ausable
03-13-2011, 09:08 PM
----LOL -- Now that there is a good Idea -- Wished I lived closer. Remember when several kids would get together and TP (Toilet Paper) a neighbors trees. On Maple Trader - we could start a new tradition - and TAP a Slow Starter or Over Planners - Maple Trees. Would probably drive them crazy and that might be a good thing - cause then their perfect, never before tapped trees would be soiled with spiles and sap dripping ----- and maybe - just maybe - old ADK1 would spring into action (If He ain't too Old to spring) and FINALLY "GETTER DONE"..... --- naaaaaahhhh! It just aint gonna happen - He will still be planning twenty years after I'm gone..... Mike

3rdgen.maple
03-13-2011, 09:12 PM
I wonder how long it took him to get out of the plan on planning stage?

adk1
03-14-2011, 11:20 AM
I wonder how long it took him to get out of the plan on planning stage?

Oh, started the plan stage when I was about 6 I think. so 30 years!

3rdgen.maple
03-14-2011, 11:31 AM
Oh, started the plan stage when I was about 6 I think. so 30 years!

Trust me it never ever ends. Ever.

adk1
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Trust me it never ever ends. Ever.

Oh I know, I have known that for years, that is the beauty of it all! If you think I am crazy for "planning" for all of these years, wait till this fall when I am actually installing mainline/tubing etc and gettign everything setup, you wanna talk about crazy man..yikes!
Oh yeah, I changed my signiture for all you ya-hoos

JuniperHillSugar
03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Adk1:

I'd bet that your $2500 number is quite on track. I set up my sugarhouse last year with a Mason 2x4, in an existing 14'x20' building. I bought 225 used buckets, covers & taps (so I can expand in the future). Installed a 100 gallon storage tank and bought a turkey fryer to finish and bottle from. This was done with just about $2500 plus a lot of my time setting it all up.

This year, after preparing 3 cord of firewood last summer, I simply washed the equipment went about tapping and boiling. No real money spent this year. In 2010 I produced 12.5 gallons, on 130 taps. A poor season. My goal is 25 gallons this year. If I meet my goal, I am producing about $1250 of product each year (25 gallons x $50/gal.). I've figured that within a few years my investment will have paid for itself. If our time was figured in to this venture, I never would have tapped a single tree.

My goal has never been to have a money-making venture with the maple season, but just to continue a great family tradition. When I give someone a half gallon of Maine Maple Syrup for Christmas, their Thank You is my reward.

I'd ditto the suggestion to go tap some trees. I started with 6 new taps many years ago, running into milk jugs. Go have some fun.

P.S. I'd suggest ordering a new 2x4 from Bill Mason right away so your name will be on the list. Then you can spend the next year getting your trees lined up and a shelter up for 2012.

adk1
03-14-2011, 11:56 AM
Adk1:

I'd bet that your $2500 number is quite on track. I set up my sugarhouse last year with a Mason 2x4, in an existing 14'x20' building. I bought 225 used buckets, covers & taps (so I can expand in the future). Installed a 100 gallon storage tank and bought a turkey fryer to finish and bottle from. This was done with just about $2500 plus a lot of my time setting it all up.

This year, after preparing 3 cord of firewood last summer, I simply washed the equipment went about tapping and boiling. No real money spent this year. In 2010 I produced 12.5 gallons, on 130 taps. A poor season. My goal is 25 gallons this year. If I meet my goal, I am producing about $1250 of product each year (25 gallons x $50/gal.). I've figured that within a few years my investment will have paid for itself. If our time was figured in to this venture, I never would have tapped a single tree.

My goal has never been to have a money-making venture with the maple season, but just to continue a great family tradition. When I give someone a half gallon of Maine Maple Syrup for Christmas, their Thank You is my reward.

I'd ditto the suggestion to go tap some trees. I started with 6 new taps many years ago, running into milk jugs. Go have some fun.

I get my thrills helping out my brother in laws operation right now. $50/gallon is steep for around these parts, most are sellign at 440/$42 per gallon. I havent really considered selling any when I do start producing, unless someone walked in and asked if I had any for sale I guess.

nace
03-14-2011, 01:18 PM
you could take dave ramsey's advice for getting out of debt and apply it toward your equipment budget. name the dog e-bay, sell so much stuff that the kid's think they are next, deliver pizza's or get a paper route. get gazelle intense! when a gazelle sees a cheata, he don't plan his next move, he just moves! www.daveramsey.com (http://www.daveramsey.com)... nace p.s. applying dave ramsey's teaching saved my finiancial assets

adk1
03-14-2011, 01:27 PM
you could take dave ramsey's advice for getting out of debt and apply it toward your equipment budget. name the dog e-bay, sell so much stuff that the kid's think they are next, deliver pizza's or get a paper route. get gazelle intense! when a gazelle sees a cheata, he don't plan his next move, he just moves! www.daveramsey.com (http://www.daveramsey.com)... nace p.s. applying dave ramsey's teaching saved my finiancial assets

I have read his book and put alot of his ideas into action several years back. hell, I even sold my tuck and we were down to once vehicle! That was tuff.

I am actually returning all of my recycleables rather than putting them out to the road for pickup :). I also ahve oh about $200 worth of change in a big ol jug that I am gonna be cashing in....I convinced my wife to give me our State Tax Refund for my maple stuff, that will pay for 1/4 of the evap... any other misc check I get now goes into my maple fund. So I am getting there!

adk1
03-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Purchased: 2000' of 12.5ga HT wire, 4 ratchet stretchers and handle..9qt SS drawoff pail. 1000' Leader 30P Max Flow Grip, 500' Leader 30P Max Flow Flex, 5" wire ties and tool.

stoweski
03-28-2011, 06:55 PM
You're about 6 weeks late! :D

Where did you get your supplies?

adk1
03-28-2011, 08:40 PM
haha...yeah...or rather almost a year early! All the tubing etc I bought from Leader. everything else Tractor Supply. The LEader lateral tubing is "on sale" right now. Was told they dont put their mainline "on sale"...next purchase is 1000' of 3/4" 30P and all of my fittings and taps

3rdgen.maple
03-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Adk1 if you want to save some more coin go back to TSC and buy some back 3/4 pipe for your mainline. I got mine there $72 bucks for 400 feet.

Dill
03-29-2011, 09:02 AM
Evidently you can get it cheaper at some landscape supply houses.
Or just find some in the woods over the summer

lafite
03-29-2011, 09:20 AM
another thought...I have already outgrown my 2x4. I didnt even tap about 25 trees (too much snow) making my total at around 75 taps this year. at one point I had 2-55 gallon drums full of sap and knowing that i had 14 hours of boil time ahead of me.

Considering I have a full time job, I wish I was getting better than 8-9 gph.

adk1
03-29-2011, 09:24 AM
How does that black waterpipe work, particularly when using the saddle fittings. I bet I would save a bundle. I need about 1000' and the 30P was gonna cost me around $350 shipped. Thoughts?

Dill
03-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Well? I bet 95% of mainlines are running black water pipe.

adk1
03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
I will look into that. that would save me alot of Coin! thanks for the tip. I see at TSC, 400' 3/4" 100psi for $79.99. is this the stuff?

steve J
03-29-2011, 10:35 AM
That sounds like the stuff and an awful lot of people use it with success. Some worry that it gets to warm in the late season but ther eis nothing stopping you from painting it white after you hung it.

adk1
03-29-2011, 10:49 AM
so would you use standard fittings (Y's etc) at TSC, or is there a need to buy them through the maple market

Dill
03-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Lowes has the best price on plumbing parts, that I've found.
One thing is for sure, this maple thing has really helped my halfassed plumbing skills.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-29-2011, 06:50 PM
They put the 30 p mainline on sale last year 10% off and dealers like Bascoms usually put it on sale.