PDA

View Full Version : Drop lines

Lance
12-25-2005, 05:17 PM
When you guys're making up your drop lines (at home, I hope), how do you orient the spout in relation to the tee at the other end? In other words, if the tee is pointing one way, what direction do you point the spout? What length drops do you use?

Also, when you're putting 2 or more taps in a tree, do you use a 2 or 3 tap dropline as shown in the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual, diagram 6.20 (seems awkward) or do you just use 2 or 3 separate drops and tee 'em individually into the lateral line (sounds easier)? Thanks for the info and I hope everybody had the best of all possible Christmases!

lew
12-25-2005, 05:50 PM
When I make my droplines i don't orient the spile to the tee in any way. My experience has been that the tubing will twist to whatever angle I need and no orientation is need. Also, after a couple of years, the fittings will spin inside the tubing and you can orient the tee and spile if you want. I realize there are some tubing s on the market that claim not to spin on the fittings like I mentioned. I have only played with the 4-seasons tubing for 2 years, but this tubing does seem to NOT spin on the fittings. However your droplines should be long enough to twist to your desired position. When I first started in the business close to 20 years ago, we used a 15" dropline, way too short. We now use a 30" dropline and make longer ones for large trees.

As far as making up a harness for 2 - 4 tap trees, DON'T. Put in individual drop lines, spreading them around the tree as best you can. This will make it much easier to put your taps in fresh wood each year.

brookledge
12-26-2005, 12:28 PM
Lance
I usually cut my drops to 30" and 36" and will make up some drops with no tees so as I'm building the lines I can make a two drop harness as shown in fig. 6.20 I would agree with lew not to make those ahead of time because the amount of space between the tees will vary from tree to tree. The other thing to remember when you do a setup like fig. 6.20 you end up needing an extra plug to plug the taps after you pull them.
Also as far as the orientation of the tee and spout when building them, I like to make each one the same so as you bundle them they all have the same curvature. This way seems to help from getting twisted up so much. Otherwise like lew said with a 30" drop you can twist the spout to any angle.
Keith

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
12-29-2005, 06:42 PM
We cut our drops at 30" for all trees and it has works good so far. But if we had any bigger trees I would go 36" for just those. Just for looks we put the tee and spout in the same direction, but if they were opposite I don't see a problem. I think that the spout would plug fine either way.

Lance
01-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Thanks, Guys, for the info and suggestions. I've pretty much got our drops made for this year. It's gonna be a relief not having to deal with the 6 foot drops my buddy's always used!

Happy new year to all and I hope everybody has the best sugarin' season yet!

brookledge
01-02-2006, 02:32 PM
Making them is a good hobby to do infront of your favorite Tv show just like the women like to knit or etc. you can make drops. :) :)

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Stick the tubing in a pot of boiling water for about 5 seconds and they go together easily! :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-02-2006, 08:22 PM
post edited

Lance
01-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Brookledge - That's exactly what I've been doing. These bowl games are perfect for fixin' drops.

Brandon - When I was able to convince my buddy to restring all our tubing, I bought me a tubing tool from Glenn Goodrich. $170 plus tax, ouch! But what a difference it makes, both at home making drops and expecially in the woods. Tubing, even the rigid stuff, just slides onto the fittings and quick, too! Plus, it makes it so much easier to put in drops. Won't take long to pay for itself.

Lance
01-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Kevin - Hadn't read your post before I replied to Brookledge and Brandon. I guess great minds think alike - I'd already bought the tubing tool.

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
01-02-2006, 09:29 PM
post edited

Lance
01-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I didn't even look at the sales slip from Glenn when I got it - I didn't know ag items were tax-exempt. Just checked it and there was no tax charged. Thanks for the heads-up, though.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-02-2006, 10:03 PM
Kevin,

Might be right there, but I just get them warm enough to force the fitting on it. I don't use vaccuum, so I guess I don't have too much to worry about! :D

Thanks for the heads up for the others. I would be interested in seeing if everyone has the same experience as you. :D