PDA

View Full Version : Draw off temp question

northwoods_forestry
03-11-2011, 08:39 AM
Still trying to figure this one out and hoped you all might be able to provide some help.

I carefully calibrated my syrup pan thermometers to the boiling point of water before firing up the rig and when I hit 7 degrees I started drawing off a trickle. Eveything was humming along just fine, the needle stuck at 7 as I slowly drew off a couple gallons. I didn't get around to testing it with the hydrometer until I transfered to the finishing pan, where I discovered that I was well shy of syrup. Before I drew off any more I kept checking with the hydrometer and I didn't have syrup until I hit 10 or 11 degrees (the hydrometer is accurate). Is this just the way it should work or am I missing something?

Southtowns27
03-11-2011, 08:47 AM
The thermometer gets you in the ballpark, the hydrometer will get you a homerun. Yesterday when I boiled, at the start of the day syrup was coming off at 8, by the end of the day syrup was 5.5. There are a lot of variable that will effect the boiling point of water. I check every cup that comes off the evap with my hydrometer. It's the only 100% accurate way to do it.

Jeff E
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
The draw off temp will vary each day. Also I think the probes and wiring are not dialed in exactly.
You have to go with the hydrometer.
I test the first bit that comes off the evaporator each day with the hydro, and then adjust the draw off temp to get it to syrup. I check it at least every couple of hours.

So, calibrate your auto draw off with the hydrometer, check it often, especially if the weather is changing.

michiganfarmer2
03-11-2011, 08:50 AM
I check every cup that comes off the evap with my hydrometer. It's the only 100% accurate way to do it.

Thats my belief. I dont trust thermometers. I adjust my draw off controller a few times per day according to what the hydrometer says

..'course I take my syrup right to finnish in the evaporator. I dont use a finnish pan

briduhunt
03-11-2011, 08:52 AM
I have the very same situation with my thermostat. I set the stat to boiling water and still did not have syrup when the temp read 7 above boiling. I have always checked my syrup with my hydrometer to verify it is syrup. I only use the thermostat as a gauge and not as a sure thing. I only rely on my hydrometer to verify it is syrup. I was always told that the barometric preasure changes the degree of boiling water, the changing weather we have everyday will change boiling temps. so the thermostat is only a gauge and not fool proof.

Paddymountain
03-11-2011, 08:54 AM
I have never drawn off at or around 219 at my house, typicaly it's 221-222.5
now maybe my thermometers aren't correct ,but here is what I do
when my thermo gets to 220 I start checking with the hydrometer, when I finally get to the temp that floats the hydrometer, I draw off usally checking with the hydrometer. When I get the feel for what the temp is for that day I just run with that number. I also go a little over on the density,because it's much easier to thin your syrup to the correct density
before you bottle it, than spending alot of time trying to get to density when its not quite done