PDA

View Full Version : Question About These Pans (Pics Included)

jobooie
03-10-2011, 10:56 PM
Hi Folks,

I have a chance to buy this set of used pans and was wondering if anyone had some insight into the condition of the front, smaller pan.

It looks like it could have been burned or is it just a buildup of sediments that can be cleaned away? Kinda new to this and wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts.

Any help is appreciated, tia.

Flat47
03-11-2011, 05:16 AM
Looks like a set of Small Brothers raised flue. Probably 1990s era.
If so:
Likely lead soldered
Probably 430 stainless

To tell, hold a magnet to the pan. If it sticks it's 430. If it doesn't it's 304.
430 pits and pin holes result, so look them over closely.

To me they look very clean. I don't see anything to suggest burning or scorching.

Because it's soldered, don't srub the pans with much vigor, and don't use acid pan wash. Best to saok the pans in a warm vinegar/water mix for a dew hours and then gently brush the niter off. Rinse well. Check with CDL, I think they still stock pan cleaner for 430 stainless.

bobbyjake
03-11-2011, 07:03 AM
Your posts says you are kinda new to this but you are looking at a relatively big set of pans. They look like they might be for a 5' evap. 5x14 possibly.

New to this and big evaporators are a little unusual. Good Luck in your endeavor.

The burning in the syrup pan looks relatively mild and not atypical of pans that are that age and presumably had some use over the years. It looks like it cleaned up as good as to can be expected and that the pan probably didn't suffer too badly from it. We can't see in the pictures, but you want to look for warping or cupping in the sections of the front pan between the dividers. It is easiest to do this by looking at the underside of the pan (put your eye right down on the pan and look across it OR take a 6' level with you and lay it right across the pan) so you can see how much deformation there is in the bottom. Some is typical, say 1/4" or so, but if it is a lot more than that, it will be more prone to burning again because the sugar sand/niter will settle (and burn) in those cupped out sections. You'd need to watch it and be even more diligent about cleaning them out.

Again, good luck.

michiganfarmer2
03-11-2011, 07:16 AM
To me they look very clean.

I think so too

jobooie
03-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Ya for sure, I am relatively new to this and yes they are a big set of pans, 5 x 15 to be exact. I'm thinking of buying these if I can swing a good deal on this then either flip them to buy a 2 x 8 evaporator or keep them until I get up into this size range.

What do you thing a set such as these could fetch and would there much of a market for them? That will determine what I'll probably do with them.

Mike

Southtowns27
03-11-2011, 11:38 AM
The front pan is fine. It just looks like some mineral deposits from boiling that haven't been thoroughly cleaned off is all. 5x15 is a BIG evap. Not many people have a need for something that size. I've seen very large evaps sell for less money than a 2x6 for that very reason. I would save your money and use it to buy exactly what you want, unless these pans are very very cheap. It also seems to me that the behemoth evaps are fast becoming obsolete as well. With advances in air over fire, steamaways, etc, you can make more syrup on a 3x10 and use way less fuel. Just my .02

jobooie
03-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Thanks Southtowns, that is the kind of info I was looking for around the type of demand for these pans. My gut was telling me to just bypass the pans and stick with what I need. The set could be had for about $1,000, but I think I'll just put that cash right against a 2x6 or 2x8 right now.

Thanks everyone for your opinions on the condition, great resource we have here!

Flat47
03-11-2011, 05:55 PM
It also seems to me that the behemoth evaps are fast becoming obsolete as well. With advances in air over fire, steamaways, etc, you can make more syrup on a 3x10 and use way less fuel. Just my .02

Very true. There have been a lot of advances in equipment since those pans were built. Like others have said, those huge pans may become a thorn in your side when they don't sell right away and you're stuck storing them.

bobbyjake
03-11-2011, 06:46 PM
That set of pans is still worth a $1000 though, any day of the week, assuming that the pictures actually represent the condition. The 15' part being an odd size though. It looks like the back pan may be more typical and the front may be short, but that is just a guess.

If we had a 5' evap, I'd be considering buying them just to have in the top of the barn collecting dust on the off chance that we burn ours up some day. You know, the surest way to ensure that you never burn yours up is to have another set sitting in another barn 100' away. Murphy's Law.

I'm not saying you'd flip them and make much, but there is no reason why you'd loose anything on them.