PDA

View Full Version : Supermoon = Supersap?

mike z
03-10-2011, 07:50 PM
All this talk about a Supermoon wreaking havoc around the world. Could their be a flip side where we get the sap run of our dreams? The Supermoon will be here March 19th. Better make room boys, (and girls out there). Let the west coast have the earthquakes:o, we'll take the flood of sap:).

Southtowns27
03-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Haven't heard anything about this... I guess I'll have to google it.
All I've heard about was the big solar flare yesterday...wonder if that has any effect...although I doubt it.

maplematt
03-10-2011, 10:53 PM
Well, I guess it might?!?! The perigee-syzygy (supermoon) is said to create stronger tidal forces and gravitional pull across the whole planet...Although I don't think that affects air pressure which is how sap flows, right? Its more like the moon is dragging the water and creating a tidal surge. Apparently its effects can be noticed 3 days before and after the occurance (the moon earth and sun are aligned (full moon) AND the moon is almost at it nearest proximity to earth)). It happens on March 19th so if anyone records their sap collections, it'd be neat to see if there are any changes.

Also, watch for northern lights over the next few nights, due to an extreme solar flare heading our way!!

len
03-19-2011, 07:18 PM
Super moon visible above horizon, facing east, large, yellowish color (sighted at ~8PM, now ~8:30PM)

On the ledge
03-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Funny , I was going to ask the same question . It's been a good year so far. What does it hurt to hope the moon helps us.

3rdgen.maple
03-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Yeah the supermoon and sap flow LOL the temps being in the single digits tonight just not going to happen atleast here.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-20-2011, 07:44 AM
dam I gonna have to strap a larger tank to the top of the jeep

happy thoughts
03-20-2011, 07:51 AM
LOL All the super-moon did for me was wake me up in the middle of the night. I thought it was daylight so decided to boil off the couple of gallons of sap I had left from this phenomenal week of sap flow. I've been boiling since 3:30AM. I must be super-loony :lol: Gotta build a block arch next year.

Kev
03-20-2011, 08:17 AM
LOL All the super-moon did for me was wake me up in the middle of the night. I thought it was daylight so decided to boil off the couple of gallons of sap I had left from this phenomenal week of sap flow. I've been boiling since 3:30AM. I must be super-loony :lol: Gotta build a block arch next year.

ROFL the neighbors are going to think strange things about you LOL
how far are you from the conneaut lake area?

mike z
03-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Supermoon = Super rain here today. I'm super bummed:cry:

happy thoughts
03-20-2011, 10:00 AM
ROFL the neighbors are going to think strange things about you LOL
how far are you from the conneaut lake area?

LOL good thing there are no neighbors! I'm calling this last batch maple moonshine :D

I had to look up Conneaugt Lake on google maps. We're probably about 4 hrs east of it in PA's Northern Tier. We're more east central, about 30 miles NE of Williamsport which is the closest town of any size. Haven't done much touring of western PA but that looks like a pretty big lake. Do you boat race there?

jmayerl
03-20-2011, 10:01 AM
yup....super rain, super mud.

ComputerSteve
03-20-2011, 12:03 PM
All I saw last night were the rain clouds moving in, no supermoon. Today lots of rain and supermud. Good thing my buckets have good covers on them. Time to go rescue what sap I can.

GramaCindy
03-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Supermoon = Super rain here today. I'm super bummed:cry:

and SUPER WINDY here in Southern Bayfield co….Was really looking forward to collecting some more sap here today. Not cold enough last night, but I will check the sap sacks later, when the wind dies down. I'd hate to have the empty sacks flapping in the breeze!:(

KenWP
03-20-2011, 07:50 PM
If the moon made the sap run harder then I would have gotton nothing without it.Got maybe 10 gallons off 50 taps today.

weekendboiler
03-20-2011, 10:13 PM
i do believe that the moon helped me last night cause today my wife and i collected 200 gal from 132 taps on buckets and another 95 from 60 taps on gravity.:D still got 100+ buckets to get in the morn decided to leave them since the wind had half the buckets we collected blew into the feild. :mad: sap is still testing just a touch over 3%:o:D