PDA

View Full Version : Ants!!!!!

They Call Me Pete
03-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Stinking ants have found my jugs. Good thing they are tightly sealed. Wish the snow was still on the ground

valleyman
03-10-2011, 03:32 PM
I've been getting them too and now moths for a few days.

Maple Hobo
03-10-2011, 05:24 PM
Do you use a filter press?
If so spead a little line of filteraid around where the ants are coming in at.

Exterminators use dietimacious (spelling?) earth (filteraid) as a pesticide free way to control hard shell insects. It also works on wood roaches, crickets, etc.

The DE gets on them and when they clean themselves it scratches their shells and they dehydrate/die.

lafite
03-10-2011, 08:07 PM
Stinking ants have found my jugs. Good thing they are tightly sealed. Wish the snow was still on the ground

ants and sugar moths have arrived. I agree about Malloy as well....:mad:

happy thoughts
03-10-2011, 08:16 PM
Well you could always try a little entrepreneurial spirit and find a market for maple coated ants. Put "gourmet" or 100% natural on the label and someone in a big city somewhere is sure to buy them. Besides, insects are supposed to be high in protein:lol:

maplematt
03-10-2011, 11:31 PM
I get some kind of bug, not sure what it is...I know they aren't ants, lol, but this post made me think of them.

They're very tiny, small or smaller than a flea, and there are tons of then covering the tree trunks where some sap leaks. I think they are greyish in color.

Any ideas what they might be?

wattsup
03-11-2011, 10:19 AM
We have always called them snow fleas. They are always the first bugs to appear often appearing on the first warm day hopping on the snow

lafite
03-12-2011, 05:44 AM
They travel around in the thousands! they are called springtails and they collect around the tap hole to get a free meal. They don't hurt anything. mine tend to hang around the maples in the shade until the major heat of the summer.

maplematt
03-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks Guys!

Maple Ridge
03-14-2011, 11:52 AM
Springtails or snow fles what ever you want to call them, I have them but I have never seen them last so long. Some of my buckets have hundreds in them. I just filter them out.