PDA

View Full Version : Bartering with syrup

happy thoughts
03-10-2011, 12:45 PM
I doubt I'll ever get to be more than a hobby syrup maker but got to thinking what I'd do with a lot more syrup than I could use or give away in a year. I already have more sap than I can handle this year. We're already thinking about getting more serious next year so we can just use the camp stove for camping. I'd rather not go the route of trying to sell syrup. Have any of you ever used syrup as currency? What kinds of things have you traded for and what value do you place on the syrup when bartering?

Groves
03-10-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm in the same boat as you. Make about 6gal a year.

I just keep my eye out at the farmer's market and ask people if they'd trade. I like to get $8-10 out of my 12oz bottles, but that means you gotta find someone with $8-10 worth of produce that you want. Hard to do at the fresh herbs booth, but easier at other stands.

talahi maple products
03-10-2011, 01:05 PM
Yea it works for me, I've been doing the barter system for a few years. I have two people who have large gardens and do a lot of canning, I swap them 3or4 for 1, 1qt syrup for 3or4 qts anything they got, It works great for me.

RevDoc
03-10-2011, 01:12 PM
This morning, I traded 1 quart of fresh syrup and a bushel of sweet potatoes for 200 pounds of just sheared purebred Rambouillet wool.

/comb, card, pick, and spin while the sap boils.:)

happy thoughts
03-10-2011, 01:20 PM
This morning, I traded 1 quart of fresh syrup and a bushel of sweet potatoes for 200 pounds of just sheared purebred Rambouillet wool.

/comb, card, pick, and spin while the sap boils.:)

wow! That sounds like a deal! I wonder how many gallons of syrup for the whole sheep:) We have a nice little pasture.....

jasonl6
03-10-2011, 01:33 PM
I sell my syrup now but my entire setup is designed to operate without electricity so I can continue to make syrup and barter, sell and trade it in a TEOTWAWKI situation. Sugar will be a precious commodity if we can't afford to import it anymore. Maybe sugar producers will once again be exporting (at least to other states.

Jason

SPILEDRIVER
03-11-2011, 06:15 PM
I trade a guy a years worth of syrup(4 gallons)for a years worth of organic free range chicken eggs(18 pack every week) i trade another fellow 4 gallons of maple for 4 cords(face) of firewood .

Father & Son
03-14-2011, 07:44 AM
I also do the syrup swap for firewood.

Jim

Mike N RI
03-14-2011, 08:06 AM
I trade a quart of syrup for a couple lobsters, sea scallops or yellow tail from a local fisherman--fresh off his boat!

PerryW
03-14-2011, 12:01 PM
I trade syrup for the privilege of tapping (more) trees.

wnybassman
03-14-2011, 12:32 PM
One of the only reasons I make it. I like to barter with people, or just give some away for good deeds done towards me. There always seems to be a situation where you wish you could do something for something but they don't accept. Nobody has turned down syrup yet ;)

Dill
03-14-2011, 01:28 PM
I traded a gallon of B for a new preheater this year, I'll make that trade any day.

Farmboy
03-14-2011, 06:30 PM
I trade syup for a lot of things. I gave someone a quart for some welding on my pans. My dads friend thats a plumber is getting a quart for giving me a hand putting a drain in the sugar shack. My uncles getting a quart for putting an outlet in the sugar shack. A lot of people do favors for me and tell me I dont owe them anything but they will gladly take some maple syrup in trade.

ebourassa
03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
I barter syrup for anything i can get, i've traded for nailing guns, stainless sinks,sap tanks, anything i can use for syrup production, everyone is always happy.

BobU
03-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Best trade last year was, even up trade, for pepper jelly, that stuff is good on just about everything. (OK, maybe not ice cream):D
Maple syrup can sure "grease the wheels" on alot a deals.
Some of my bills from people I deal with, have included a maple syrup payment option.

PeddlerLakeSapper
03-18-2011, 07:15 AM
My son and I bought a 1986 Chevy Camaro from a guy for his first car. When we went back to pick up the car and pay the guy the rest of the money we gave him a pint of syrup also. He installs auto glass, so he said when we were ready for a new windshield he would be able to get us a good deal.

He called me with the price one day, $150.00 + more syrup, installed.

ComputerSteve
03-20-2011, 11:56 AM
Just talked with someone from church that found out we do maple syrup. They love real maple syrup and are willing to trade homemade jellies and jams, along with fresh veggies in the summer for some of the golden goodness.

mathprofdk
03-21-2011, 08:14 PM
I also do the syrup swap for firewood.

Jim

OK, now THAT is awesome. Firewood is crazy expensive in the burbs. Of course, I'd have to find someone willing to trade for syrup, but that's a trade I'd make any day.

3rdgen.maple
03-22-2011, 02:27 AM
I made a bartering deal with an amish sawmill. A gallon of syrup for 12 loads of slabwood. As much as I can get on my trailer. First 2 load I thought the tires where going to blow out. Amish guy said sure you dont want to put more on there lol. One load is almost a full cord. I think I got ripped off lol.
When he gets caught up on sawing he is going to cut it to length for me for a gallon per 6 loads ready to stack. What it figures out to be is 5 bucks per load uncut and 10 bucks per load cut to size. No more running out of wood and putting wet crap through this mans evaporator.

michiganfarmer2
03-22-2011, 07:50 AM
I trade for eggs, help in the woods, help with firewood, even trade for some tool repair at my shop when I get a tool that I dont wanna work on.

CBOYER
03-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Got an uncle that have a starter,alternator rebuild shop, he never want to be paid for any job he do for me or my father, so Syrup and Moose steak are something he cannot refuse.

jdsr
03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
I use a snowmobile to collect sap and now that the snow has melted the snowmobile can't be used without doing damage. I have a neighbor that has a 4-wheeler and it's just sitting waiting for someone to ride it. Remember Maple Syrup is "Liquid Gold" and real gold was used a long time ago for currency. Works the same with syrup if someone is interested. My neighbor was willing to trade 1 gal. of syrup for a couple wks. use of the 4-wheeler. A lot less work for me and he is real happy to get a gal. of syrup. My appreciation will probably end up giving him more as long as the season continues. Also have a buddy that helps out watching the evaporater while I tend to other parts of the operation. He just wants a little syrup in return, and says it's easier than trying to do do it himself. It's a win - win for everyone. :D

Kev
04-10-2011, 08:47 PM
I just traded a qt of syrup for 2 1.5 L bottles of some fabulous apple wine.
He offered more but I felt since we drank most of one bottle sampling it this aft. I told him 2 would do just fine. actually we agreed on 2 750 ml bottles but he then handed me 1.5 L instead. so I sweetened the pot with some fresh roasted coffee :)