PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use quick connects on the 5/16" laterals with vacuum?

Bruce L
03-10-2011, 11:54 AM
I am pondering using a few quick connects where the laterals cross some roads to shorten up some lines,but will the quick connects hold 20 + inches of vacuum?

DrTimPerkins
03-10-2011, 11:58 AM
I am pondering using a few quick connects where the laterals cross some roads to shorten up some lines,but will the quick connects hold 20 + inches of vacuum?

We use them in some places and they don't leak. If you only are going to use them to shorten the lines, you could just use a staight-through connector.

Dennis H.
03-10-2011, 12:12 PM
There are a few places that I could use them also but my biggest concern was if those little locking ears would hols up to the tension of the lateral.
I heard then on here that someone puts then into the short section of 5/16 between the saddle on the main and the hook fitting that hooks onto the mainline wire. Then all they do at the end of the season is disconnect and roll the lat up to a nearby tree out of the way, ready fro next season.

Snow Hill Farm
03-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I had a lot of them at the road crossings then switched to between the hook fitting and saddle because if you have too much tension they can occasionally pop off.

dgp219
03-10-2011, 12:40 PM
On tubing I take down every year, I use one around my top tree and one about a foot above a four-way star. The one at the star is not under tension but the one on the top tree is. I've had two out of eight break after six years. I think the occasional break is outweighed by the convenience.

Maplewalnut
03-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I use quick connects in a few spots that cross trails but maybe a little different than most people. I still use a slide connector at the mainline wire to tighten my lateral but then have a quick connect between the slide connector and the saddle. By positioning it in 'the loop' there is no tension on it and after the season you disconnect, cap both ends of the quick connect, disconect your slide fitting, roll up tubing and hang on the other side of trail leaving half a loop attached to your saddle.

Bruce L
03-10-2011, 02:19 PM
Guess maybe I should have been more specific.We have installed new mainlines to shorten the laterals,and cut the numbers down to "strive for five"The particular lateral in question is roughly 500' long(I know,ouch),I am the one that gets to roll it up at the end of the season,and roll it out to start the season.The last three trees on the line are probably 100' from the previous tree,which then runs by several other trees on the way down a steep hill.The last three trees in question however,are the width of the driveway plus maybe 10 feet from a new mainline,but this is the main roadway in where everyone walks into the sugarhouse,but more importantly we drive the truck in with new containers and return with the containers filled with the liquid gold(heavy)My two main concerns then are foot traffic,and occasional vehicle traffic. Not sure what Dr. Tim means by straight through connectors,but from what I am reading the quick connects should work as long as I do not have alot of tension on the line?
Thanks,Bruce

3rdgen.maple
03-11-2011, 01:36 AM
I use a couple in that cross my gathering road. Pulling 24 inches and no leak at all. But I also put them between the slide fitting and saddle. In your case where they are no where near the mainline I would put a slide fitting on each side of the disconect and maybe make a hook out of a wire and connect it to the two slide fittings and it would take the tension of the disconnect. Just take the disconnect apart and unhook the wire off one of the slide fitting and your good to go.

DrTimPerkins
03-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Not sure what Dr. Tim means by straight through connectors....

If all you wanted to do was shorten up the lines (which is what your post said you wanted to do), you could use a straight-through connector, and wouldn't have to worry about tension in the line. If, however, you want to be able to take the line down periodically (which wasn't entirely clear in your question), then use a quick-disconnect, but relieve the tension somehow to prevent possible separation.

red maples
03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
I used a few here and there but I got rid of them they hold the vac. no problem I wrapped them in electrical tape too just to make sure. but they don't hold up to tension on the tubing itself. just use a straight connector.

3rdgen.maple
03-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I used a few here and there but I got rid of them they hold the vac. no problem I wrapped them in electrical tape too just to make sure. but they don't hold up to tension on the tubing itself. just use a straight connector.

He cant use a straight connector if I am reading him correctly. Wouldnt taping a quick disconect defeat the purpose of quick lol.

DrTimPerkins
03-12-2011, 09:27 AM
He cant use a straight connector if I am reading him correctly. Wouldnt taping a quick disconect defeat the purpose of quick lol.

It is difficult to know exactly what the need is given the way the post was written. Bruce said he wanted to shorten the lines, but also said it was near a road. He didn't actually say he wanted to be able to take the lines apart to get across the road though. So some posters are trying to solve the "shortening the line" question, others are trying to solve the "take the line down" question. It just isn't clear what the main issue is...or whether it is both.

If Bruce simply wants to shorten lines, but doesn't need to take them apart, then a straight-through is the best way because it is cheaper and more foolproof (very unlikely to ever pull apart). If he wants to take them down frequently (at least 1-2x a year), then using a quick-disconnect close to the mainline is better, but with some tension relief to keep the quick-disconnect from pulling apart. If he needs to take down the line only once every 3-5 yrs for a few months (thinning perhaps), then use a straight-through and just cut the line when you need to cross it and then fix it again afterwared with a straight through connector.

jrthe3
03-12-2011, 11:34 AM
i use two on every one of my line one at end tree and one at mainline both under tension and pull 26 inches of vacuum with no leaks and another nice thing about them is if a tree branchs falls on the line i pop apart at conector an doesn't brake anything

3rdgen.maple
03-12-2011, 10:44 PM
It is difficult to know exactly what the need is given the way the post was written. Bruce said he wanted to shorten the lines, but also said it was near a road. He didn't actually say he wanted to be able to take the lines apart to get across the road though. So some posters are trying to solve the "shortening the line" question, others are trying to solve the "take the line down" question. It just isn't clear what the main issue is...or whether it is both.

If Bruce simply wants to shorten lines, but doesn't need to take them apart, then a straight-through is the best way because it is cheaper and more foolproof (very unlikely to ever pull apart). If he wants to take them down frequently (at least 1-2x a year), then using a quick-disconnect close to the mainline is better, but with some tension relief to keep the quick-disconnect from pulling apart. If he needs to take down the line only once every 3-5 yrs for a few months (thinning perhaps), then use a straight-through and just cut the line when you need to cross it and then fix it again afterwared with a straight through connector.

LOL it definately would have been more clear if he just said he need to shorten the lines or needs to take them down to get through the road.

michiganfarmer2
03-15-2011, 09:40 AM
I just started with higher vacuum. 20 inches. My quick dissconects arent leaking